dynamic mic with wireless xmitter? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 12th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #31
Major Player

So can you confirm if the CL2 wire is the better solution? What If I decide to use the CL2 to plug into a audio mixer getting a line feed out to the transmitter during a live band shoot. Will that work?
Old August 14th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
When the tip of the 3.5mm jack is connected to pin 2 of the xlr and the sleeve is connected to pin 1 & 3 and the ring is not connected, a dynamic microphone such as my Shure VP64A, the level is too low to use. (This would be the CM1 wiring)
NO - this is *not* the CM-1 wiring!

The CM-1 has an additional capacitor in the XLR - this prevents the 5V plug-in power from the transmitter going to the microphone and causing problems.

Quote:
When the ring of the 3.5mm jack is connected to pin 2 of the xlr and the sleeve is connected to pin 1 & 3 and the tip is not connected, the level from my dynamic microphone is very good. (This is how the CL2 is wired.)
You are then plugging in the mic. to the line input - so you have to turn up the gain and get more noise.

It sounds like you have a CM-1 cable without the blocking capacitor that is causing the problems.

Quote:
The CL1 cable that comes with the Sennheiser camera set (3.5mm locking to 3.5mm angle) is something I will not be using, has all three conductors coming from locking jack. So you could make your own cable if you don't think you'll use this cable.
Yes - if you cut off the rt.angled mini-jack and replace it with a female XLR and don't forget the blocking capacitor.
Old August 14th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chia View Post
So can you confirm if the CL2 wire is the better solution?
No - the CL-2 is a line input cable and should not be used for a microphone as it is connected to the line/instrument in of the transmitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chia View Post
What If I decide to use the CL2 to plug into a audio mixer getting a line feed out to the transmitter during a live band shoot. Will that work?
Yes - that's fine.
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Even with the CL-2 line input cable, I'm not sure the body-pack transmitter can 'handle' +4dB. -10dB is no problem, so use the board's RCA outs. Or better yet, use an pre-fader aux out for an independent of house mix, Just turn down the aux, master to lower the output some.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Even with the CL-2 line input cable, I'm not sure the body-pack transmitter can 'handle' +4dB. -10dB is no problem, so use the board's RCA outs. Or better yet, use an pre-fader aux out for an independent of house mix, Just turn down the aux, master to lower the output some.
I'm on a slow and expensive roaming link now, so I can't check the actual figures.

But the input level *is* adjustable on the transmitter.
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #36
Inner Circle

If the SK-100 transmitter's sensitivity adjustment does not control the transmitter's front-end input stage, it could distort regardless of the sensitivity adjustment setting. I recall having to pad down a +4 input a few dB to avoid some quite audible clips with the sensitivity set at -30 db.
I can't find any line-in dB range in the manual's specs or if the CL-2 cable has a built-in pad, so you may be very well correct John.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio