First Post! - New Mic Recomendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 4th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

First Post! - New Mic Recomendation

Howdy all,

I just recently decided to spend some serious money and upgraded to a semi pro-sumer cam, the HDR AX2000 form Sony. Only I now have a problem. My Old Mic literally fell apart. The fence like housing on the top cracked, fell off, and everything came undone from there.

It was a Great Mic, an http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/76669-REG/Electro_Voice_6351706_635A_B_Dynamic_Mic.html . Sounded as good as what you hear the pro's use on the radio.

I would get the same thing again, only the thing looked a tad dinky when held, due to it's length....and it was really too short for a mic flag.

I'm thinking of getting a Senheisser next...something along the lines of this.... edit - correct url http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/223940-REG/Sennheiser_MD46_MD46_Dynamic_ENG.html
Was wondering if anyone had any video they could post a link too so I can hear the sound quality? Or any other recommendations that won't break the bank, would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Neil Vitale; July 4th, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Neil Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Neil,
Wow, hard to believe that a 635a could just fall apart. I thought you could shoot those things out of a cannon without breaking them. But seriously, take a look at the EV RE50. Same sound as the 635a, better shock mounting, and less dinky. If you want video of it in use just turn on your local newscast tonight.

Although I like the look/size of the 635a. It fits anywhere in your bag and has a nice low profile.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi - I think you messed up the link and copied the EV one again. Which Sennheiser were you thinking of?

For hand-held omnis, I still rather favour the Beyer M58, mainly because the handle is so long!

The usual (and quite popular) Sennheiser is Sennheiser MD-42 (MD42) robust handheld omni-directional reporter's microphone (Sennheiser p/n 05173) this one.

Rather expensive over here though.The Beyer one I mentioned is here. BEYERDYNAMIC M 58 MICROPHONE ENG, interview
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The Beyer one doesn't look that bad....But I think I'll give that Senheisser you posted a try..thanks for the link :)...

I've had bad luck with Mics....

I lost a Bluetooth Enabled one at a golf tournament. Somehow the Receiver for it tumbled off the camera while riding a golf cart and went tumbling away, breaking the 'secure' part that hooks into the camera in half.
This is the second one I busted...Although I Have no idea how this one happened....
Neil Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Vitale View Post
T....But I think I'll give that Senheisser you posted a try..thanks for the link :).....
It's about £20 cheaper at DV247 - the price here *includes* VAT.
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Also, another question.....

Where does one get mic flag stickies printed up? Or does the company you order the mic flag from usually print them on it themselves with your custom image?

thanks!
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh View Post
Hi Neil,
Wow, hard to believe that a 635a could just fall apart. I thought you could shoot those things out of a cannon without breaking them. But seriously, take a look at the EV RE50. Same sound as the 635a, better shock mounting, and less dinky. If you want video of it in use just turn on your local newscast tonight.

Although I like the look/size of the 635a. It fits anywhere in your bag and has a nice low profile.
Yes it's odd, at one point I used a 635a for a hammer while on the FLW tour and then turned around and did a VO with it.

RE50 would be my choice as well.

All the Best!
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Also, another question.....

Where does one get mic flag stickies printed up? Or does the company you order the mic flag from usually print them on it themselves with your custom image?

thanks!
Markertek in Saugerties, NY sells blank and custom print flags.
A blank flag goes for about $23.00 usd.

Markertek - Audio and Video Equipment - Professional Broadcast Studio Equipment
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks... will check it out.....

I might wind up getting two mics down the road, the one you guys suggested, but I also wound up getting the Senheiser MD46 after looking up it's voice quality on youtube. Should get here today...first live test should be either Friday, or July 21st, so it'll be interesting to hear how it sounds in the field...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2218564_n.jpg

This is what my old mic looked like after the housing cracked and fell apart. so sad :)
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2218564_n.jpg

This is what my old mic looked like after the housing cracked and fell apart. so sad :)
It's only a flesh wound!
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Neil,

You should be very satisfied with your MD-46. I have both the Sennheiser MD- 46 and the Beyerdymanic M58. They are both great mics, but suited for different situations. The Sennheiser is a cardioid mic therefore better suited for loud/noisy environments because the better off-axis sound rejection. That also means that the interviewer (or whoever is holding/using the mic) has to pay more attention to where the mic is placed and/or pointed to achieve the best sound. The Beyer is an Omni mic and better suited for quiet/normal environments, as it will pick up more ambient sound and mic placement/position is less critical. Also, the Sennheiser has more bass/low-end.
Coral Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Major Player

Following on from the last point, the Beyer M58 is an omni but if you hold it close and speak up you will not have a problem being heard over the background. It's used here in the UK for nearly all the 'in-vision' reporters at sports stadiums. Not during play but at half time and afterwards. So don't be put off by it's omni pattern.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
It's only a flesh wound!
I wonder if I taped it back up, it'd still work :)..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio