Does anyone have a line on an old mono Nagra for hire? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #16
Major Player

Thank you for the comments and advice. The material is indeed sync which is the precise reason I am looking for the same model of Nagra - or thereabouts - as was used in the recording process.

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Trustee

Unless you have the special equipment to "resolve" the sync signal, then playing it back on a Nagra will be no different than playing it back on any other tape machine. Still not clear to me that finding a Nagra to play them back on adds any actual value to the process?

Furthermore, as you have already seen, the old analog Nagras are long out of mainstream use and it will likely be more difficult to find one that is in good operating condition vs. more common 1/4 inch studio tape decks which are still in regular use and maintained to factory specs.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #18
Major Player

Mr Crowley and all,

Thank you for your kind response. In answer to your question: Yes, the signal will be resolved.

You have all been very kind in offering me all kinds of advice. That's not what I asked for and it's a waste of time to make all these suggestions about what I might do or asking me a load of questions about the project and raising issues of budget - like advising me to purchase in lieu of hiring.

The simple fact is that I don't need that.

I need a Nagra with a Mono head and Pilotone. We have all the other necessary knowledge and equipment already. I know that these suggestions are made out of kindness and altruism, however it doesn't help to tell me all this stuff.

All I need is the one piece of machinery.

Once again, thank you all very much for your warm and generous responses.

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Well, as I said, there's a mono Nagra 4.2 with Pilotone in VG condition on offer at Trew Audio Toronto. Perhaps you can negotiate a rental with them. Certainly would be worth a phone call.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio