AT4053b vs AKG Blue Line CK93 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 29th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Inner Circle

AT4053b vs AKG Blue Line CK93

I'm wondering if anybody can guide me to an audio comparison of the AT4053b and the AKG SE 300 B with CK93 capsule? If not, does anybody here have direct experience with the two mics as indoor hypers on a boom?

Many use Oktavas, but I'm not happy with the samples I've heard, and I don't have a $1k+ budget for a Schoeps.

The main concerns I have are:
* Full tone - being indoors, I won't have to deal with wind, so I don't want a thin sounding mic.

* Neutral sound - I want to avoid hard dips and peaks. A bit of sparkle is nice. I'm not afraid of EQ'ing in post, so I don't need perfect balance out of the box - as long as the response doesn't have "holes and poles".

* Handling noise - more bass means more handling noise, but that just means that I need to take precautions.

* Sensitivity and S/N - it's nice to pick up whispered dialog, and if the shot is wide, I might not get as close as I'd like. This could be a tie breaker.

Thanks!
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Major Player

no experience using either on a boom, but I do own the SE300 w/CK91 and it is a spectacular mic - acoustic guitars, hi hat, etc. stellar performer. i believe i have read very favorable comparisons with it and the schoeps.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Trustee

I love my Blue Line AKG's also.
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Major Player

I've been shooting with an AT4053a for the past couple of years, and it is my favorite mic. Full bodied sound, with great low end. The "b" version is new, and was a change in manufacturing that got rid of any lead solder, so the new version is now lead free. ( evironmentally friendly )

To my ear it's a relatively neutral sounding mic, though not as bland as a Schoeps. ( it's definitely a brighter mic )

Handling can be an issue if you don't have a good shockmount, as the low end is very present. ( the Rycote Lyre mount is what I use, and I have no problems at all )

I've always been tempted to buy a CK93 just to compare, as I know the AKG mic has a very good reputation.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these mics.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If I weren't married I would marry my AKG. Well maybe not but I absolutely love it. IMO indoors, it's great. I use it for wedding receptions along with a wireless set to the other channel and it works great. I love the fact that it has the built in attenuation switch which comes in real handy and the small size is wonderful but the best thing is the sound. Grade A+.
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Trustee

I can consistently pick out AT mics because of their bright tinny sound. its painful at times. the AT sound might of made sense in the days of analog tape and HF attenuation thru a few generations of tape. we know thats long gone. AKG is nicer and more neutral..... but you are talking to a schoeps owner :)

as for LF rumble / handling noise, its a matter of a good mount, and low cut if you need it. there are times I will use a full blimp indoors when there is a lot of air handling noise
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:03 AM   #7
Trustee

I'm very happy with my AKG blueline gear. I have two capsules- the hyper and long shotgun. I'm looking for a cardiod capsule if I can find one at a decent price. Great mic set up.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Major Player

The AKG is decent, but the other caps are not. So the benefits of changeable caps is lost. I've also heard reports of the AKG stuff being more susceptible to humidity.

All of the AT caps sound great, and the AT4053b IMO sounds better anyway. It's not bright at all IMO. It sounds full and round.
Old August 4th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks everybody!

It seems that the AKG gets a bit more love here.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I decided to put my money into a long-needed computer upgrade rather than a hyper mic. I have access to a couple of COS-11D lavs, so those will be my indoor mics for now.

Hopefully, somebody will put together a head to head sound test before long. Those are the next best thing to testing them myself...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio