Help! Major audio cable problems - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 31st, 2010, 05:41 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Meeks View Post
..So, I'll never buy LiveWire again. Can you guys tell me a brand that doesn't suck?

Thanks for the help.
As Richard said, things can slip through QC with any manufacturer.

I've been happy with Remote Audio cables; they use Canare cable and Neutrik connectors.
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:20 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I bought one new cable for the shoot (since I only need two), and I'm going to pay my friend $20 to re-solder the 3 messed up ones, to have as spares and for future projects. He's better at it than I am, I tend to make a mess out of it, even after lots of practice.
John Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:42 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Shielding is king with casbles... Have a cable that is poorly shielded and you can have major buzz issues from a number of sources. Interference can come from a number of sources. They range from the most common being electrical noise or multiple grounds in a system (common in music applications because the rigs are so large) to things like cellular telephones.

I find there are a number of "quality" cables out there that have shielding issues- the worst for me being Mogami cable. Fantastic sound, easy to coil and work with, but the shielding sucks. Canare Star Quad will resist just about anything, the german cable Sommercable is even better when you see how it's made.

The other thing to be aware of is if the shield is attached to the shell of the XLR. There is a school of thought that likes this- especially in production sound, but I prefer to keep all of my grounds away from the shells. Can open up too many problems in harsh enfironments for interference and in locations where multiple grounds are a bad thing.

These days I make my own cables, but a place like Markertek will have good workmanship and good quality wire.

--Ben
Benjamin Maas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:49 PM   #19
Major Player

I'm telling you the Audio Technica cables are great! They are thicker than most cables, which results in them lasting longer. The connectors are hearty, and they are shielded. To spend any more would be falling for hype. I've never had an AT cable fail after 20 years.
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:07 PM   #20
Inner Circle

(My two cents) I make most of my cables with Canare star-quad. w/ Neutrik XLRs. Relatively cheap in bulk.
I've had some for twenty years or more, though some of the the Neutrik boots need replacing. I also have couple of the AT premium cables, they are very nice, however not as quite easy to coil-up as the Canares'.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio