DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   New RODE Lavalier (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/482805-new-rode-lavalier.html)

Guy Cochran August 2nd, 2010 01:27 PM

New RODE Lavalier

1 Attachment(s)
Listening to end-user feedback, RODE has developed a new lavalier microphone that fits right into our production style.

What unique?

- MiCon connector.

Need to switch between a hardwired XLR and a Sennheiser wireless, no problem, simply unscrew the MiCon connector and switch. This feature alone is huge!

- Mini-furry

Typically you would need to purchase wind protection such as Remote Audio's Microcat - now it's included in the box and ready to save your sound in those windy situations.

- Size

Miniature capsule goes head to head with some of the biggest names in the business.

- Price point

$249 - priced right when compared to all other lavalier mics in this size and includes accessories.

RØDE Microphones - Lavalier

The only glaringly noticeable aspect is the lack of low end frequency response. 60Hz - 18kHz - the competition hits 20Hz - 20kHz. For dialogue, the low end is not needed and the boomy sound would mostly be handling noise, however, for those that like to use a lav as a plant mic, full frequency response is desired.

I would have also liked to have seen a vampire clip such as the model included with the Audio Technica 899. However, the free water proof carrying case, ability to quickly swap connectors, 10 year warranty, low price and wind jammer are certainly reasons that some may want to take a closer look.

As soon as I get my sample, I'll be putting up some tests.

Ron Cooper August 2nd, 2010 07:18 PM

Has anyone done any live sound comparison between this and the Sanken COS 11D or the Sennheiser ME2 ?

RonC.

Andrew Smith August 3rd, 2010 01:23 AM

Given how pleased I am with my other Rode microphones, this has got to be a very exciting announcement. I'll be staying tuned for more.

Andrew

Rick Reineke August 3rd, 2010 08:48 AM

The Tram cable attach vampire clip, works with most 'normal sized' lav cables.
I'd be interest in reading a field production test. Cable borne noise ect, ect.

Chad Johnson August 3rd, 2010 11:52 AM

Thanks for posting this Guy.

And a shootout between the ME2, COS11D, and the new Rode would be cool, and even throwing in the higher priced Sennheiser lav (I forget the name) would be cool.

For Ron, here is a COS11D vs the ME2:

Randy Panado August 3rd, 2010 01:28 PM

Would love to know how this compares against a Tram TR50 mic. Any thoughts Guy?

Michael Wisniewski August 3rd, 2010 09:24 PM

Chad the singing review was entertaining. Thanks for sticking the COS-11D/Sennheiser ME2 tune in my head for the rest of the day.

Chad Johnson August 3rd, 2010 11:44 PM

Thanks Michael! I write Jingles as part of my work, and sometimes people are annoyed that they can't get some of my tunes out of their heads. And even I can't say "COS11D" out loud without singing it now. Anyway, it's a pretty sweet little mic for sure.

Allan Black September 9th, 2010 07:30 AM

This new Rode lav mic is now shipping .. Guy, the warranty is 5yrs not 10.

Cheers.

John Willett September 10th, 2010 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Johnson (Post 1555050)
and even throwing in the higher priced Sennheiser lav (I forget the name) would be cool.

MKE 2 or the new (smaller) MKE 1 (the latter now in a paintable version for film, stage and TV work - MKE 1M).

Steve Oakley September 10th, 2010 05:09 PM

I did a video review of the G3 and ME2 / COS-11.. shot on a EOS 550D with vivitar 28 1.9 :)

sound recorded on DR-680

Sennheiser G3 Wireless Mic System Review

Rick Reineke September 10th, 2010 07:51 PM

Nice review Steve!
As you said, " it's not Lectro",.. or other $2k+ systems for that matter. But for the price!
I have a few of each, G2s, 211s, and a 411. No G3 yet.
In your opinion, does it handle high frequency (jangling keys) better than the G2?

Steve Oakley September 10th, 2010 08:08 PM

I've used G2's a couple of times when working so I am by no means an expert on them. I've not had the chance to try the key thing.... I was going to work on a new review over the next week or so, so I'll try to do it.

one thing I did experience was a wierd set of drop outs about 2 weeks ago with the G3, only 5 ft from the subject. happened for 30secs and once I moved it never came back. its also VERY possibly what I picked up was actually the sound of a vacuum being used - I was shooting eye surgery.

the G3's certainly have a lot more HF response then I am used to though, so the key test will be interesting.

I've actually gotten some really nice and really cheap vintage glass in today, and I'll probably go shoot a series of test this weekend. so I have my hands full :)

Guy Cochran September 13th, 2010 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1567543)
This new Rode lav mic is now shipping .. Guy, the warranty is 5yrs not 10.

Cheers.

Thanks Allan. Yes, the sticker on the box says, "5 Year No Questions Asked Replacement"

The new RODE lav just landed here in the studio...I'm thinking about shooting a demo video. Anyone have any suggestions on what you'd like to see put in the vid?

Wacharapong Chiowanich September 13th, 2010 09:53 PM

Something like Chad's please. The differences really stick in my head. No kidding!

Chad Johnson September 13th, 2010 10:15 PM

Guy I think a ME2, Rode Lav, COS11d vid would be nice with some quick draw comparisons of all 3 in a row, level matched, so you hear the different character of each mic. If one is louder than another it reads as sounding better.

As another suggestion: I suggest you do a new setup how-to on the Senn G3 Wireless. It's got somewhat different names in menus as I recall. It would be cool to have that link to send people I bring into projects from time to time.

Andy Wilkinson September 23rd, 2010 11:21 AM

Anyone got any hands on experience of this new Rode Lav yet that they can share?

Chad Johnson September 23rd, 2010 11:29 AM

Hey Guy - are you making a video?

Andy Wilkinson October 2nd, 2010 10:10 AM

Just a little nudge.

I'm hoping to find time to go to the ProVideo in Coventry UK (13-14th Oct) and this new Rode Lav might be on my shopping list to use with my Senny G2 systems.

So, anyone used this Rode Lav yet and have comments, good or bad?

Chad Johnson October 2nd, 2010 12:40 PM

Attn: Guy Cochran

Have you planned the lav shootout you mentioned yet? We'd love to see the Rode Lav, Sanken COS11D, and ME2 go head to head. And maybe the higher end Sennheisers too.

Guy Cochran October 6th, 2010 12:57 AM

So I grabbed the Canon 5D Mark II along with the RODE Lavalier Microphone and headed into the studio, a few hours later....video:

Andy Wilkinson October 6th, 2010 02:24 AM

Thanks a lot Guy, excellent overview! I love the "designed in" flexibility for hard wiring (if needed) with the optional accessory plug etc.

OK, now I want one!

Chad Johnson October 6th, 2010 11:27 AM

Nice video Guy! Nice mic too. I dig the versatility and accessories that come with the unit. Allowing for a simple 30.00 XLR adapter is really nice. You didn't mention power. Does the XLR adapter convert phantom powere to something the mic uses? But then you plugged right into the little zoom recorder, and I don't think that supplies any power. Sup wit dat?

I would like to see some head to head comparisons, so one can purchase knowing exactly where the mic stands, allowing for a truly informed decision. Maybe you don't want to possibly cut into COS11D sales? Anyway, the mic did sound pretty good, and I suspect it's better than the ME-2. If I were going to get another lav I would definitely consider the Rode.

Thank you!

Rick Reineke October 6th, 2010 03:38 PM

For sure Guy! Nice work, thanks for that informative piece.

I would assume for $30usd, the XLR module converts Phantom to bias power (plug-in) What a cost and problem saver.

I'm re-thinking my imminent purchase of replacing my aging Trams w/ new ones or B3s.

Richard Crowley October 7th, 2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1576244)
I would assume for $30usd, the XLR module converts Phantom to bias power (plug-in) What a cost and problem saver.

$30 is a much more reasonable price for a connector with maybe $6 worth of parts inside.

Looks like Rode has done it again. Good products at sensible prices.

Garrett Low October 7th, 2010 11:17 PM

Hi Guy,

Are you still planning on doing a direct comparison of the new Rode lav and the ME2 and COS11? I'd be really interested. The Rode is very interesting at $250. It seems like it would be a nice upgrade to my Senn G3 eng setup.

If you do a direct comparison I'd love it if you could also throw in a quick sample of say the Sanken CS-3e so I could see how well it would match that great mic you sold me, which by the way has gotten some great usage.

Thanks,
Garrett

Randy Panado October 8th, 2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran (Post 1576005)
So I grabbed the Canon 5D Mark II along with the RODE Lavalier Microphone and headed into the studio, a few hours later....video:

RODE Lavalier Microphone on Vimeo

Hi Guy,

I'm currently using Tram TR50 mics with the TR79 modules, should I be looking to sell them and pick up a rode system instead? I posted a question earlier asking how these stacked up against the TR50s but the question seemed to have been glossed over. Appreciate your insight on this.

Thanks

Chad Johnson October 8th, 2010 12:42 PM

I think it might be up to us to do any head to head comparisons...

Garrett Low October 8th, 2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Johnson (Post 1576856)
I think it might be up to us to do any head to head comparisons...

I would love to do a head to head comparison but unfortunately I don't have access to a Rode Lav or Sanken COS11.

-Garrett

Guy Cochran October 10th, 2010 03:09 PM

Currently I do not have all of the gear needed to perform these tests in the manner that everyone is asking, no Trams, not enough wireless, mics with the wrong connectors etc. However, I'd still like to help. I propose that an independent production company or reviewer, perform the side-by-sides. I will gladly send the RODE Lavalier with Micon connectors on 72 hour loan to anyone with a track record of producing high quality reviews. I'll even put a $600 bounty up for a completed video. Dan Brockett? Ty Ford? Steve Oakley? Chad Johnson?

Chad Johnson October 10th, 2010 03:26 PM

Sold! Let's talk Monday Guy after 11am.

EDIT: Email sent with some ideas. I have a Tram through a lectro, COS11D through a Sennheiser G3, ME-2 through a G2. If I had a way to get the Tram to an XLR, and an XLR converter for the ME-2 and COS11d, I could do them all wired.

Randy Panado October 12th, 2010 03:21 PM

I have the Tram TR50 with the TR79 XLR adapter. Would be happy to help. If money is being made, a proportional cut would be welcomed.

Chad Johnson October 12th, 2010 04:21 PM

I have the tram TR50 too Randy, and I think we're going through wireless units, but if we need to go hard wired I'll hit you up.

Randy Panado October 12th, 2010 05:13 PM

Sounds good. If you do end up needing it, it would be available after this coming weekend for testing.

Would LOVE to hear if there is a difference as these new rodes look like a great value.

Chad Johnson October 19th, 2010 12:59 PM

Here is the "Lav Shootout" video with the Rode, Tram TR-50, Sanken COS11D, and the Sennheiser ME-2.

Andy Wilkinson October 19th, 2010 03:55 PM

Chad, Thanks for this - Very useful!

Guy Cochran October 19th, 2010 04:19 PM

Chad,

Thanks for putting this together in a timely manner. The $600 bounty is yours! I'm glad to be able to provide the support on this one. We have an advertising budget and I'd rather give it back to folks like you and other contributing members rather than to a magazine ad, Google ad words or Facebook ads. Hopefully others will benefit from the video. I'd like to be able to do more like this if it makes sense. Thanks again. Well done!

Chad Johnson October 19th, 2010 04:44 PM

Thanks Guy!

I'm happy to have helped out any way I can. It was fun and informative for me, though more complex than I expected. I'm already getting good feedback on the shootout. It's just the kind of thing that I wanted when I was purchasing a new lav. I had to rely on print and people's descriptions, but the proof is in the pudding. To hear them next to each other in the time-span of a few minutes tells me much more than hours of reading. Also that Rode Lav is no slouch. Very nice sounding.

Don't hesitate to call on me again. Video/Marketing is my occupation, and Audio is my specialty.

Take care.

Chad

P.S. The stuff is on it's way back.

Randy Panado October 22nd, 2010 02:48 PM

Great review! Thanks for putting it together, looks like I'll be holding onto my trams :)

Warren Kawamoto October 22nd, 2010 03:04 PM

Yes, great review! However, if someone could please throw a Sony ECM-77b into the mix of reviews, that would be greatly appreciated! I've been using a bunch of 77's for a decade and have been very happy with them. Just curious to know how they stack up against these newer generation mics.