5.1 recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:33 PM   #1
New Boot

5.1 recommendations?

Does anyone have a 5.1 speaker system? Any recommendations? (For music, movies, and video editing. No Gaming).

Under $300 would be nice. I'm looking at the Logitech Z-5500 and X-540, Yamaha NS-SP1800BL, Polk RM705. I'm a bit confused about which ones come with a reciever and what it's for.

I would like some good punch, but I’m actually not a big fan of bass and subwoofers. I guess I’m mostly after clarity.

Thanks!
Peter Telian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Telian View Post
Does anyone have a 5.1 speaker system? Any recommendations? (For music, movies, and video editing. No Gaming).

Under $300 would be nice. I'm looking at the Logitech Z-5500 and X-540, Yamaha NS-SP1800BL, Polk RM705. I'm a bit confused about which ones come with a reciever and what it's for.

I would like some good punch, but I’m actually not a big fan of bass and subwoofers. I guess I’m mostly after clarity.

Thanks!
Under $300 for the full set of speakers ???? Not going to happen for a setup for professional use.

Is this for music LISTENING or music CREATION and audio editing?

Video editing professionally or just playing around with personal stuff?

5.1 includes a subwoofer by definition - that's the ".1" effects channel in the "5.1" designation.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:38 PM   #3
New Boot

For music listening and professional video editing. I don't game and I don't blare it. Seems like I would get adequate sound from these options. Are you saying I need to pay more to get good sound? What does twice that price get me?
Peter Telian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Telian View Post
For music listening and professional video editing. I don't game and I don't blare it. Seems like I would get adequate sound from these options. Are you saying I need to pay more to get good sound? What does twice that price get me?
$600 will buy you one speaker out of the 6 you will need for an entry level, professional grade, 5.1 video editing workstation (and the price climbs from there). You need matched nearfield monitors for the LF, RF, C, RL, and RR channels plus a subwoofer for the LFE channel. The monitors need to be flat over the audible spectrum and with adequate power to generate calibrated levels at the working mix position without adding any colouration from the speakers themselves. 'Punch' is not a factor, accuracy is.

And as you budget, don't forget that an acoustically conditioned workspace is as important as the speakers you use so allow for sound control panels, etc, in your budget. And don't forget to include Digital Audio Workstation software and audio interface hardware capable of mixing 5.1 in your budget as well.

Here's an example of a typical small professional monitor setup ... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/468527-REG/JBL_LSR4326P5_1_LSR4326P_5_1_Active_5_1.html

Are you really sure you want to jump into 5.1 before getting your feet wet honing your skills on stereo? Unless you're doing theatrical releases, most video is still stereo and the skills required to do 5.1 properly rise exponentially in the move up to it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio