NT5 Pair for Chamber Orchestra? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #46
Regular Crew

I had problems with uploading earlier as well. Try CloudApp. It works really well.

CloudApp

I would really like to hear your recording!
Robert R. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #47
Inner Circle

If you want to e-mail them to me I can put them on a web site where folks can listen/download. I THINK I can receive a 10MB file - but it wouldn't hurt to split it in two. and send as two separate files.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #48
Regular Crew

KSM 141s / Rode NT5s

OK, well since this is DVinfo.net, I figure you all would rather hear it with the video anyway. Below, you will find clips of a concert recorded with two Shure KSM 141s in AB omni (mains), two Rode NT5 in at 90* ~20cm (woodwinds), and two AT4050s (flankers). The 141s form 90% of the mix. The AT4050 were in figure-8 for the piano concerto (nulls towards the piano) and in omni for the symphony. I brought up the NT5s only when the woodwind solos warranted it. All mics are visible in the video if you look closely. Please listen in at least 480p. The focus of this recording was the audio.

Barber's Piano Concerto, Mvt. 1: YouTube - UNC Symphony Orchestra - Barber Piano Concerto: Mvt. 1

Brahm's Symhony No. 2, Mvt. 4: YouTube - UNC Symphony Orchestra - Brahms Symphony No. 2: IV. Allegro con spirito

Speaking from experience, I do not like the 141s in cardioid on orchestra. I do like them in omni on orchestra.

Both of these pieces are amazing, by the way.

Last edited by Christian Brown; January 7th, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Brown View Post
OK, well since this is DVinfo.net, I figure you all would rather hear it with the video anyway. Below, you will find clips of a concert recorded with two Shure KSM 141s in AB omni (mains), two Rode NT5 in at 90* ~20cm (woodwinds), and two AT4050s (flankers). The 141s form 90% of the mix. The AT4050 were in figure-8 for the piano concerto (nulls towards the piano) and in omni for the symphony. I brought up the NT5s only when the woodwind solos warranted it. All mics are visible in the video if you look closely. Please listen in at least 480p. The focus of this recording was the audio.

Barber's Piano Concerto, Mvt. 1: YouTube - UNC Symphony Orchestra - Barber Piano Concerto: Mvt. 1

Brahm's Symhony No. 2, Mvt. 4: YouTube - UNC Symphony Orchestra - Brahms Symphony No. 2: IV. Allegro con spirito

Speaking from experience, I do not like the 141s in cardioid on orchestra. I do like them in omni on orchestra.

Both of these pieces are amazing, by the way.
Well done! That's really nice. Good dynamic range, good bottom end. Nice brasses, nice balance. Top end felt a little closed off, not as opened and airy as it possibly could be -- but that could be the hall, YouTube compression, whatever. The thing is, if sounds pretty neutral and uncolored from top to bottom. It sounds like a symphony orchestra sounds.

Again we learn the lesson: It's not just the equipment, it's knowing how to use it. And it sounds like you know how to use that equipment to make a first class recording. Good on ya!
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio