Softie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 31st, 2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Softie

What is the best Softie, i was looking at the rode or even the Rycote this is to cover the rode NTG2.

Any Suggestions/ reviews

Thanks

Ollie
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Major Player

I was just talking about this a couple of threads down. The Rode Dead Cat is pretty good in moderate wind. The Rode Sofie is better, the Rycote Softie is better yet, and it looks like the Rycote Miniscreen is even better.

Here's a kit with the miniscreen, but it's got a lot more stuff than just the screen.

Rycote InVision Universal Camera Kit - 7.08" (18cm) 116002
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I use the Rode WS6 after I saw the dealer demo which was a 12" fan blowing straight at the NTG-2 about a foot away from it. In fact I was quite surprised how good it was, no wind at all.

After I used the WS6 for a while I found I'm able to accurately judge the strength of the wind and when I can use it and not have to use the Rode Blimp. But over a long day shoot, I play safe in case the wind gets stronger .. the weather report is not always correct.

If you're going on location somewhere distant, phone the local wireless station and ask a reporter to stick his head out the window .. works for me :)

Rode WS6

Cheers.
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Walton View Post
What is the best Softie, i was looking at the rode or even the Rycote this is to cover the rode NTG2.

Any Suggestions/ reviews
Seeing as Rycote invented the Softie and understand the science of exactly how and why it works, I would say the original is better than a copy.

But - The Rycote MiniScreen with its Windjammer is better than the Softie - Rycote themselves say this - and I think it is cheaper as well (especially when bought as part of the Universal Camera Kit).

Without the WIndjammer, the Softie is better than the MiniScreen - but *with* the Windjammer the MiniScreen is better than the Softie.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio