Slate mic and tone -- advice needed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 4th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post
Thanks Steve. That's incredibly helpful!

Don't have a timecode recorder yet (have been using H4n): that's one of my decision points -- is it worth getting a timecode recorder?

Also, do you happen to know if Adobe Premiere can do what you describe? (I can't seem to find anywhere if Premiere can even read timecode in audio).

Thanks.
For some bizzarre reason known only to Adobe, Premiere still doesn't recognize a BWF file's timestamp. But Audition does ... you load the video clip into a multitrack session in Audition, align it properly on the timeline by setting the timeline offset, add the sound clip with the option "Use BWF Time Reference As Insert Start Time" to sync it, and export the result as an AVI file with both video and sound tracks. Audition even has a workspace preset of "Video + Audio Session" predefined out of the box.
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Yes, the whole discussion was based on the assumption that you were sending the same audio signal (with the slate mic and the tone) to BOTH the camcorder/DSLR AND to the separate sound recorder.
Yep, and my comments were assuming it was to be a film-style double system workflow of recording to a completely separate audio recorder without also recording an in-camera scratch track to use later for sync. Recording both would be a different matter but I still think a tone extending over time such as you'd get from recording the alignment tone would be harder to sync to accurately than would a single impulse sound.

Last edited by Steve House; September 4th, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Steve,
You may want to look at a "Bloop Slate" also called a Bloop Box. I haven't used one in years but there seems to be a use for them again. Used with a nagra, the bloop box would put a tone on to the tape while displaying a sync light for the camera or cameras. The topic has been covered over at jwsound. I believe there is even a schematic.
Cheers
Jon
Jon Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #19
Trustee

There are also iPhone and iPad apps for slating with a sync tone and visual flash, as well as all pertinent project/camera info.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
I still think a tone extending over time such as you'd get from recording the alignment tone would be harder to sync to accurately than would a single impulse sound.
As Mr. Goodman observes, "bloop slate" was the standard for many years for lots of 16mm budget production, especially local TV news, etc. And if one prefers an "impulse sound" key the slate mic on and snap your fingers. :-)
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
Steve,
You may want to look at a "Bloop Slate" also called a Bloop Box. I haven't used one in years but there seems to be a use for them again. Used with a nagra, the bloop box would put a tone on to the tape while displaying a sync light for the camera or cameras. The topic has been covered over at jwsound. I believe there is even a schematic.
Cheers
Jon
Thanks Jon. I've read about these but haven't yet found out where to get one (if it's still even possible).
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
For some bizzarre reason known only to Adobe, Premiere still doesn't recognize a BWF file's timestamp. But Audition does ... you load the video clip into a multitrack session in Audition, align it properly on the timeline by setting the timeline offset, add the sound clip with the option "Use BWF Time Reference As Insert Start Time" to sync it, and export the result as an AVI file with both video and sound tracks. Audition even has a workspace preset of "Video + Audio Session" predefined out of the box.
Ugh. Seems like it would be easier to just use a dumb slate!
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks Jon. I've read about these but haven't yet found out where to get one (if it's still even possible).
They haven't been made in decades.
Dunno why anyone would need one?

* Press tone button for audible sync signal. No Cost.
* Hold notepad in front of camera for scene/take numbers. No Cost.
* Sync and Slate. Done. Priceless.

(With apologies to MasterCard)
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Quote:
Ugh. Seems like it would be easier to just use a dumb slate!
All of maybe 6 mouse clicks plus typing a couple of numbers..
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
All of maybe 6 mouse clicks plus typing a couple of numbers..
But I don't own Audition!
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #26
Major Player

I have had an idea kicking around the brain for a while for a simple sync setup... a couple of hours in the workshop and came up with this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbK6zwH2CE
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
But I don't own Audition!
It's not expensive and is a very valuable tool, much more capable than Soundbooth

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio