"Quiet on the Set" / "On the Bell" bell? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 4th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #16
Major Player

Whistle while you work ....

Somebody suggested a whistle... the type an athletic coach or referee might use. That sound like an excellent idea. It doesn't need to be plugged in, doesn't need batteries, won't be mistaken for a fire alarm, everyone knows how to use one, and it only costs a few bucks. Perfection in simplicity!

Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #17
Wrangler

Maybe it's because I've been around bell systems on set for 15 years or so, but I have a hard time picturing a whistle being used for that purpose. More than a good chance it would quickly "go missing" and be found dangling from the perms thereafter.
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #18
Inner Circle

12 volt old-fashioned alarm bell from the hardware store, some plain insulated wire, a momentary contact pushbutton switch, and either 1 12-volt or 2 6-volt lantern batteries wire 'em all in series and you're in business, if all you need is a bell. The rotating red beacon is what would add complexity.
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Charles, I was hoping you'd weigh in as someone who seems to spend most of his life on a stage. Any other thoughts on this? To your knowledge are these thing usually just put together by the sound guys?

Steve, I think that's exactly what I'm going to have to do. Other than the very excellent (and expensive) unit you referred to earlier, it seems like what I'm looking for does not exist and I'm going to have to assemble my own. Not a big deal, I suppose. I've already got the beacon hooked up to a wireless remote controlled outlet which usually works.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #20
Trustee

Someone mentioned air horns - aerosol can jobs. Simple / loud / cheap.

Air Horn Portable
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Someone mentioned air horns - aerosol can jobs. Simple / loud / cheap.
And typically so loud that it will temporarily deafen everyone on the set. But that may get the actors to speak up and make our job of capturing dialog easier! :-))
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #22
Inner Circle

So I just took everyone's advice and bought the parts at the hardware store and turned the afternoon into a science experiment with my kids. Initial wireup took about ten minutes. Once we verified everything worked, I took everything apart and mounted all the pieces to a wooden folding TV tray that collapses when not in use. Works fine and a fun afternoon to boot. About $35 worth of parts and you can hear the bell down the street.

I'll mount the wireless remote for the beacon light to the same tray, so all can be controlled from the same console.

Thanks everyone.
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #23
Trustee

What an entertaining thread. The top minds in the industry, slaving tirelessly to solve this seemingly simple problem. They apply their creativity, their problem solving skills and ingenutiy.Very entertaining and very interesting too.

However, I must say as a former sports official, I'm partial to just blowing a whistle, as was suggested by Brian Reynolds and seconded by Ken.
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
What an entertaining thread. The top minds in the industry, slaving tirelessly to solve this seemingly simple problem. They apply their creativity, their problem solving skills and ingenutiy. Very entertaining.and interesting.
I've often noticed that the more professional the people get, the cheaper the things they talk about are. Go to a no budget indie set and everyone talks about the Red One. Sit around with some seasoned pros and they talk about who makes the best apple boxes, clamps, sharpies, and apparently doorbells.
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #25
Wrangler

more often, the attributes and proclivities of various comely extras, stand-ins etc...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio