Capturing DAT with Time Code into FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 14th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Capturing DAT with Time Code into FCP

Never done it so walking me through would be appreciated. What hardware will I need along with the DAT player?. Is making a DV dub 1st and then capturing that advisable or not?

Thanks
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

First question that comes to mind is just what are you dealing with?
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a MacBook Pro. The dat audio in question is live music that was recorded with time code synced to the camera. Lots of music in the movie (about a jazz musician) All properly miked etc, but the dat recording is superior quality, so of course we want to replace it.

I do have an M Audio box which has a Midi in but I think I'm right in saying that won't carry TC even if there's a DAT with a Midi out.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Trustee

At least find out what it costs to send it off for the pros to do it. They already have everything set up to capture LTC off an audio track, etc. You are in a city where there are likely more of those kind of production resources than most places outside Toronto, NewYork, or Hollywood.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Richard

I'm aware of that option, but looking to do it myself.
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Unfortunately your options are pretty slim. You need some way to capture the LTC from the dat machine into FCP. Or you need someone to record it into a DAW as a BWF.

Not sure if you have video i/o but it probably doesn't have LTC anyway. Mini DV decks usually do not have TC in so dubbing to that will not help you. Midi will not work with FCP either.

If you can find someone with a Avid Adrenaline (or better) they can capture it with TC, I personally would just call places near by (post houses, duplication houses, recording studios). I can't imagine anyone charging more than $40 to do this.
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Video Tool Shed has software for FCP that, like some Avids, can read LTC, if you can get it onto an audio track. Of coarse that would not help much if it tends to drift out of sync.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio