Stock Music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 25th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stock Music

I am looking to purchase a library of stock music. I know alot of people here have been recommending stock20. - Which looks quiet good to me. I just want some type of library to work with so I dont have to search and buy individual tracks all the time.

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with wavtracks? I couldnt find anything in these forums about the company - but 1400 tracks for $179 seems worth it to me. At the very least I could format the hard drive they send.

Anyone know if the quality of this stuff is any good? When they say everything is totally royalty free, no strings attachd (Except it has to be part of a production) - is this actually believable?

Thanks,
Dale W
Dale Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

One thing that concerns me is they have a song called "Black Orchid" - which is very very similiar to the White Stripes Blue Orchid. And they had another song that was like a ripoff of ACDC.

Does anyone know the rules on this? I am a bit concerned that in a worst case scenario I pick a song from the library that isn't familiar and I get sued for copyright infringement.
Dale Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

For the difference between the way-crazy $179 price and whatever you might spend with Stock20, it's not worth the potential for grief ... no matter how easily you feel you can extract yourself from a legal vice.

Go with Stock20 and rest easy, concentrating on the creative stuff instead.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm partial to the Smartsound library and their SonicFire Pro software that lets you remix it, adjust cuts to length, etc.
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't share Andrews concern for grief but certainly agree with his call - IMHO the Wavtracks stuff sounds cheap and synthetic. Stock 20 sounds way more like something you could really use.

Anyone have other fave music sites on par with Stock20 ?

thanks
Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Anybody tried Royalty Free Music & Audio: Search Stock Samples, Loops & Tracks | iStockphoto.com ??

I am considering it, but no experience with them...

Thanks for any input!!
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I have several collections from Royalty-Free Music for use as Production Music, Hold Music and More

When purchased as a collection, you get a decent quantity and quality for the dollar. The ones I selected are acoustic instruments not synth. You can audition every track in the collection before purchasing. Sometimes they have a buy 2 get one free deal.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Dale,

I actually bought some wavtrack CDs off ebay years ago. It was our first stock music purchase, and they had a great deal back then. And we actually used quite a few tracks for our commercials and promo/training DVDs.

With that said, I've since bought and used stock20 music. I ended up buying the entire collection, knowing that I can buy additional new tracks for a significant discount. I feel their quality of music is top notch for the value. Plus, their customer service is excellent.

At work, we use FirstCom and have a year long license. It's expensive, but the music quality is pretty amazing.

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio