College football game: Need mic that can withstand loud screaming - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #16
Major Player

Hi everyone! I can't thank you folks enough for the help! I really appreciate it. See inline replies below:

Excellent information everyone! Thanks for sharing your pro knowledge and experience with a noob like me, I greatly appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Gallegos View Post
...<snip>... you can just turn on AGC.
Like you say, I should test AGC the next time. I always shoot manual audio, I have gotten it into my head that auto audio sucks, but in this case, it might be for the best. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
...<snip>... Chances seem excellent that that will completely solve your problem. ...<snip>...
Looks like AGC is my best option! I have not tested AGC in an "arena" situation... I will do this the next time I shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
...<snip>... Crowd sounds (behind you), grunts/ collisions on the field (in front), what? ...<snip>...
Doh! Sorry. Crowd noises. So, like people cheering/screaming/yelling/jeering... Last time, I was asked to produce a b-roll type of video, shot from along the sidelines, with a focus on the fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McBoyle View Post
I would suggest just flicking the AGC on for one match and listening to the difference it makes. ...<snip>...
Great points. I am not sure why I did not try this. I will definitely test AGC the next time I shoot a game. :)

Quote:
Indeed. I was assuming that Mr. Hulse was simply wanting the ambient sounds of the spectators, and not specific sounds like interviews or on-field speech or noises. My assumption was based on the reputation of Autzen Stadium for being one of the more noisy venues in the league.
You hit the nail on the head! Sorry that I was not more clear in my original post.

Thanks again everyone!!!! I owe ya'll a beer or two. :)

Have an excellent day!

Cheers,
Micky
Old October 6th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I've been using my NTG 1 with the FX1 to record Rugby League games and no distortion.
Gan Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Gan! Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. :)

Just curious, do you have AGC turned on while shooting audience b-roll?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Micky
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #19
Major Player

Just for kicks did you try the camera's built in mics? I know some people may find this revolting, but in a stadium it might work pretty well. Also it doesn't cost anything to try.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
Just for kicks did you try the camera's built in mics? I know some people may find this revolting, but in a stadium it might work pretty well. Also it doesn't cost anything to try.
Indeed. This is one of the VERY few applications where the built-in microphones are likely adequate.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Been there done that. I think Kevin is spot on. A criticism of built-in mics is how they are so "omni" and pickup EVERYTHING which, in this case, is EXACTLY what you want. Flip on the AGC switch and let those stereo mics do their job. You'll get some of that nice roarrrrrrr ambience in the audio. Then, if you don't like the texture, think about a different mic.

If you want to "talk to an individual in all that noise, you'll need the opposite (i.e. you want to eliminate the surrounding noise. There, you'll want a Shure SM58 (not an SM57), Evolution or Electrovoice "Dynamic" mic. A dynamic mic is unpowered and has a smaller "reach" (e.g. will pick up your subject well but the surrounding, not so well). Unfortunately, the A1 puts the switch between XLR and Built-in mics in the menu. Learn it so you can switch back and forth quickly. I'd switch to manual audio for that too.

Also, get some ears on and listen to the world through your camera.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #22
Major Player

Wow, great ideas!! I am so glad I asked for help. Many thanks to everyone for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
Quote:
Indeed. This is one of the VERY few applications where the built-in microphones are likely adequate.
Wow, I did not even think of that... I don't think I have used the built-in mic once since I have had my hands on the XHA1. I will definitely try this. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Been there done that. I think Kevin is spot on. A criticism of built-in mics is how they are so "omni" and pickup EVERYTHING which, in this case, is EXACTLY what you want. Flip on the AGC switch and let those stereo mics do their job. You'll get some of that nice roarrrrrrr ambience in the audio. Then, if you don't like the texture, think about a different mic.
I can't wait to give this a try!!!! :)

Quote:
If you want to "talk to an individual in all that noise, you'll need the opposite (i.e. you want to eliminate the surrounding noise. There, you'll want a Shure SM58 (not an SM57), Evolution or Electrovoice "Dynamic" mic. A dynamic mic is unpowered and has a smaller "reach" (e.g. will pick up your subject well but the surrounding, not so well). Unfortunately, the A1 puts the switch between XLR and Built-in mics in the menu. Learn it so you can switch back and forth quickly. I'd switch to manual audio for that too.
Excellent tips! Thanks so much!

Sorry if silly question: The mics you mention, are these hand-hold only, or could I fit them into a shock mount and connect it to the A1?

Quote:
Also, get some ears on and listen to the world through your camera.
Definitely. I have a nice pair of Sony studio headphones... I always wear them while I shoot (even if I look a little geeky).

Actually, that was the sad thing the last time I was at the football stadium -- I could hear the audio sounding like crap while I was shooting... I knew things were bad, but I was not sure what I could about it; Of course, I was shooting manual audio, and adjusting the audio levels was of no help (it just made the bad-sounding audio quieter).

Again, I can't wait to try out all of these tips/idea. Thanks a billion everyone!!!! :)

Have an excellent day!

Cheers
Micky
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Hulse View Post
Sorry if silly question: The mics you mention, are these hand-hold only, or could I fit them into a shock mount and connect it to the A1?
They are handheld and that's what you want. You have to get the mic close to the source. A shotgun on the camera won't do that. Proper use of a handheld mic is to pretend it's an ice cream cone and you hold it as if you are about to lick it.... up at lip level (not the chin) and less than a tongue length away.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #24
Trustee

Some "hand-held" mics also have a body shape (straight) that's easier to mount in a camera's shockmount. Some have the classic hand-held tapered body. This would be one more factor you would need to decide when picking a hand-held type mic in the future. Do you want it for hand-held almost all the time, or for those situations in very loud environments when a low-sensitivity dynamic mic works well on-camera for ambient-sound-only-tasks, do you want to also easily mount it there?

Last edited by Jay Massengill; October 7th, 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #25
Trustee

Using ANY microphone you can mount ON the camera will be inadequate for something like an interview or stand-up report in a football stadium. (At least for the AmEnglish definition of "football", or the BrEnglish definition of "World Cup") :-) The camera is almost ALWAYS too far away from the source for adequate mic "reach", especially in a noisy ambient like Autzen.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #26
Major Player

Good advice from everyone.

I'd just like to add -

GO DUCKS!!!!
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Neidig View Post
Good advice from everyone.

I'd just like to add -

GO DUCKS!!!!
+1 :)

Yes thanks all for the pro tips and advice! This forum is the best on the net 'cause of all the cool folks on here.

Also, thanks for the clarification on the hand-held mic usage (Richard, Jay, Les)... I will definitely add this mic to my backpack of equipment and tools. :)

Thanks a billion!

Cheers,
Micky
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #28
Major Player

Hi all,

Just as an update, the SM58 just saved my butt for capturing audio!

Oh, and auto audio levels (which kicks-in AGC on the A1) also did the trick!

I shot with my shotgun mic for XLR input #1, and plugged the SM58 into input #2.

The shotgun mic actually did worse than the SM58 for the really loud/screaming fan situations.

Anyway, thanks all for all of the pro help! Ya'll saved my day!

Now, if only there was a device I could buy to help me become a better videographer!!! Oh well, I guess practice makes perfect. :D

Cheers,
Micky

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio