in cam audio with 5Dm2, FP33 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 26th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #16
Slash Rules!

Yes, I think XL2 is the way to go. 5D is just proving to be too much of a pain. Plus, I can feed XL2 line level through it's RCA audio inputs (yes I swear it can be done) with a pad cause real line level is too much for them.

As for the budget thing, here's the deal.

It is a 0 budget movie. There will be food provided, but everything else, gear, locations, people, all volunteers/free/loans. I happen to own lights and audio gear and an XL2, which was what were going to use when a 5D became available for "borrowment". However, the person to whom this camera belongs is NOT a videographer, and does not own a zoom H4ns, etc.

So it is what it is.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
...As for the budget thing, here's the deal.

It is a 0 budget movie. There will be food provided, but everything else, gear, locations, people, all volunteers/free/loans. I happen to own lights and audio gear and an XL2, which was what were going to use when a 5D became available for "borrowment". However, the person to whom this camera belongs is NOT a videographer, and does not own a zoom H4ns, etc.

So it is what it is.
What does it matter if it's the person who owns the DSLR who also owns the recorder or not? Sounds like you're into video production for the long haul and sooner or later you're going to need to gear up with professional kit. Perfect opportunity to start acquiring it in bits and pieces. Guess I'm just weird but I figure if you can't do the job properly you might as well not have done it at all.
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #18
Slash Rules!

We can around in around in this, but the main thing is this is a no-budget, volunteer based project. Someone spending money on something, specifically for said project, they may never use again is pointless. If there was absolutely no way to get decent audio and shoot with the 5D, we'd abandon it. As it is, I think the XL2 will suffice as an audio recorder, even if 16 bit. Smarter people with fewer resources have gotten by with less.
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM   #19
Slash Rules!

Ok gang. Looks like another possible option will be available.

Director is going to buy a mac (laptop, I think).

What do you think of recording audio into an Apogee Duet audio interface then into the computer? This should give us 24 bit sound.

Are there free apps for Mac that allow you record like this? I use logic with the interface for this stuff, specifically to get the 24 bit recording.

Also, 96k or 48?

Anyone tried this? Any issues?
Old November 2nd, 2010, 04:19 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I'm pretty sure the freeware program "Audacity" is available for Mac as well as Windows. Give their website a visit. It's an excellent DAW. Also you can download BoomRecorder from VOSGAMES - Boom Recorder - it's not free but does have a 30 day free trial.. Boom Recorder is a fully professional film location recording app for the Mac.

There's no need to use a 96kHz sample rate ... doesn't hurt anything but doesn't help either. The video standard is 48kHz. 24bit can give you an improved noise figure if you're going to be mixing a lot of digital sources or doing a lot of post-production processing but for the majority of video work 48kHz/16bit is just fine.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM   #21
Trustee

wrong tool for the job.

do you know when to walk away, and when to run ? this is when to run.

you (he) will spend MORE, WAY MORE for the wrong tools, then the right ones. think of editing on a 2 core laptop with h264 ? think again. you want a 4 / 8 core + machine.

let see, laptop + CS5 ( you WANT native editing ) + audio interface = $5k+, but you can't get $200-$300 for a used h4n which will be much easier to work with.

ok, try this - hand held shot, moving thru rooms. zoom on boom op = easy. boom op + wireless mic ( no one has ) + pre amp ( no one has ) to receiver on mac where some one should put it in record = silly hard complicated.

let this project go. there will be others. this is a train wreck in the making.... really run away fast now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio