Audio-Technica AT875R Handling Noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio-Technica AT875R Handling Noise

I have an Audio-Technica AT875R which I purchased as a replacement for the factory shotgun mic for my JVC GY-HM700 camera.

I purchased this mic. based on various online reviews and forum posts.

Generally, I am pleased with the sound that I record with the AT875R. It is of much higher fidelity than the factory mic.

However, the mic. is very susceptible to handling noise. I can hear low-frequency noise any time the camera is adjusted on a tripod, nudged, touched, etc. And when the AT875R is used on a boom, even with a shock mount, there is still a bit of this noise when the boom is handled or when the cord is moved. This sort of noise is not present on the factory mic.

I'm A) looking to hear anecdotes from other AT875R users, and B) looking for advice for the next mic. to get as a general-purpose compact to mid-length shotgun, something which is particularly immune to handling noise.

My budget is in the sub-$350 range, preferably sub-$250 but if it takes an extra $100 to eliminate this handling noise problem, I'll go for it.

Thanks in advance.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 04:03 AM   #2
Trustee

I have no problems with this mic and use it on camera and on a boom for drama.

On my camera's (HPX301) I have it mounted with the two rubber rings that are provided and this isolates it from the camera noise etc, the mic has a bottom end roll off already so I tend not to have to put any extra low cut on the camera channel.

On the boom and hand held I use the rode handgrips and once again don't get any handling problems, if anything I find that this mic is better than most for noise so maybe you have too much gain in your mic input or have you got the auto gain switched on?

Here are some clips of it on location and you can hear how clean it is when used on a boom with the rode handgrip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH8mVouKkhg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbvCcjrAueI
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Inner Circle

- Get a good shock-mount for the mic, for instance, Rycote's Lyre Mount (less than $100)
- Engage the camera's hi-pass filter, aka; low-cut filter. Sometimes referred to as 'wind' (filter) by non-audio folks and on camera audio menus. (free)
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I use the AT-875R mostly on a boom and find it to be especially NOT sensitive to handling noise. Sure, if someone kicks the mic stand, I can hear it but in general, I find it to have good isolation. It sounds like you need a real mic mount. I use the Lightwave MiniMount from years ago and it is excellent.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Trustee

I also have an AT875r and haven't had any handling noise problems.

This mic does have very high overall sensitivity, being specified at 6db hotter than a Rode NTG-2 and 10db hotter than the AT897.
As mentioned though it does have a relatively high bass roll-off already built in, with a knee-point starting just above 100Hz.

When buying a shockmount for this mic remember how short the body is when making a selection. You can also use the XLR cable connector body for a little more length when mounting.

Proper cable routing is also critical. A large amount of noise can be transmitted through the cable into the mic. Use the most flexible cable you have and be sure to put a loose loop in the cable just before the mic to absorb most of the transmitted vibrations.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have the 875R on my HM-700, and it's been fine -- no excessive handling noise that I've noticed. I bought a shock mount for it when I got the mic, but frankly I just haven't used the shock mount much; this may just be the result of using the mic and camera in inherently noisy environments, though, so your mileage, as they say, may vary....
Hamish Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:34 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi Bob,
I use the AT 875r indoors for drama with the supplied foam pop/windshield in a Rycote InVision 7 shockmount on a boompole.The mount has a clip to hold the cable which helps to isolate the mic. Also wrapping the cable securely around the pole can prevent cable noise.
To keep the cable secure I fix it to the pole with a releasable cable tie at the mic end, say a few inches down from the top. With the tie secured I can pull (gently but firmly) on the cable and wrap it around the pole.I then keep the tension on the cable as I hold the base end of the pole while booming. With this method the cable does not flap against the pole as there is little or no slack.
Also, I found it helps to store the mic in the mount as I feel this reduces wear and tear on the lyres and because it can take time to get a satisfactory setup if they are taken apart after every use.
I am very happy with the performance of this combination.My thanks to Dan Brockett for mentioning the AT 875a on this forum and also to Gary Nattrass for posting the links to the video clips some time back.They were very helpful when I was looking for information about the mic.
I hope this helps.

Good Luck, Neil

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554999-REG/Rycote_041107_INV_7_InVision_Indoor_Microphone.html
6" Releasable Cable Ties - Wide Style - Andfel Corporation
Neil Hurley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio