Need multi-channel compressor for home studio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Need multi-channel compressor for home studio

I need a good (4, 6 or 8 channel) compressor for field and more importantly home studio use. I have seen several from focusrite, SM pro, etc., but since equipment is an area where experience means more than theory, I would appreciate some input. It's not large but my budget is $400-$500 or under.
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Why so many? For what purpose?

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Sorry for the late response. I have noticed that when I am recording separately microphoned bands, I sometimes get clipping in more then one channel. I know compression can help this problem (frankly I prob don't need more than 4 channels). I am not a big fan of recording instruments and vocals in only one or two channels when you can mic and record the vocals and instruments separately. This is not an issue in the video recording world (at my level anyway) b/c I am usually only concerned with two or three sources of audio (2 voice tracks and one for background use in post).
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hmm,

well compression is like baking a cake. Once it's baked, you can't squeeze that glass of milk out to have with your cookies.

Compression while tracking is not unusual, but great care must be taken so you don't crunch you stuff. IIWY, I'd try an RNC from FMR audio. It's a simple 2 channel compressor that has unbalanced I/Os. It's. You can insert it before the audio hit the hard drive.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Ty. Though I am looking at the dbx 1046 also.
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #6
Major Player

I wouldn't compress a channel just because it is clipping. Just turn it down. Then you can add compression later in post, if you really need it.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #7
Major Player

Mainly that works, though depending on the venue and type of music, not always. I just wanted to have some more options (this stuff is like being back in school. It's a sharp curve but fun:-)

;
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Flynn
Mainly that works, though depending on the venue and type of music, not always. I just wanted to have some more options (this stuff is like being back in school. It's a sharp curve but fun:-)
If it's clipping coming to you, there's really nothing you can do about it, if you are not on speaking terms with the soundboard guy. He needs to turn it down going out to you. No effect is going to make clipped audio sound okay.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio