Preamp Mixer with 3.5mm inputs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 26th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #1
New Boot

Preamp Mixer with 3.5mm inputs

I'm looking for a 2 (or 4) channel preamp / mixer that can input to my Sony HDR-CX550VE camera.
I like the look of the JuicedLink units however I'm looking for something with mini (3.5mm) inputs not XLR. I'm wanting to connect a Rode VideoMic plus a Lectrosonic IFB R1a wireless receiver - both of which have 3.5mm outputs. I'd lilke the mixer unit to attach to the camera like the way the JuicedLink unit does so that i can move about with the camera.

Alternatively, is there such a thing as a 3.5mm to XLR converter allowing me to connect my mic and Lectro unit into a JuicedLink device?

Many thanks
Ian
Ian Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Rode makes an adapter, the VXLR, specifically to use a Videomic with an XLR input. Runs about $20. Should also work with the wireless receiver.

I'd be cautious about using an IFB receiver for production sound however since it's really not designed for that application. The output is intended to drive headphones or an earpiece and is the wrong level and impedence to drive a line-level (and is WAY off-base to drive a mic level) mixer input. The output level control is a too-easily bumped knob rather than a fixed level output intended to feed a mixer, making it too easy to screw up your levels. It works with the dedicated Lectro IFB transmitters,plus their later model digital hybrid wireless lav transmitters in the right frequency block. The matching IFB transmitter does not have an on-board antenna so how are you going to manage to provide one at the talent end? The transmitter side also does not have an internal battery, requiring an external 12VDC power source. Of course, I realize that if you're doing something like a "making of" video on the set of another production or some such similar shoot, you really could be wanting to tap into the intercom radios to record the monitor communications and talent queing, picking up on the IFB feed coming out of the main production mixer's cart to do it, but something like that seems like an unusual scenario, hence my comments.
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Trustee

Ian,
You can definitely get cables to go from Stereo mini to XLR to use the Jjuiced link boxes. I would look at the cables as a temporary solution as the fragility of the stereo mini connectors is well known. Strain relief the cables so the mini connectors have as little weight and tension on them for longer durability.
The advantage of the Juiced Link set up is it lets you use mics and gear which already have XLR outputs.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Note that the R1a uses its headphone cable as the antenna - terminating it with something other than an earpiece could lead to poor reception.
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #5
New Boot

Steve & Daniel
Thanks for the input. The Lectro wireless system is provided by a 3rd party.

I'm filming football (rugby) referees who are wired with this lectro kit. Normally a referee coach (someone training the referee) watches & listens from the sideline using the IFB. Post match they discuss what the ref did good / bad etc.

We've been plugging the IFB directly into cameras for a while with reasonable (not perfect) performance but all you hear is the puffing and panting ref. I wanted to add to the sound mix input from the VideoMic so you'd hear a little of the sound. The (semi) directional capabilities of the VideoMic are good for the pickup I'm wanting. I just need to mix it with the IFB to get it into the camera.

I'll go hunting on the RODE site for this magic connector

Thanks
Ian
Ian Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't know what the quality is like but this might what your after....
VideoGuys Australia | Azden CAM-3 Miniature Audio Mixer
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #7
Trustee

The Rode 'mini jack > XLR'. I have one...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio