Selling sound gear? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Selling sound gear?

I have some sound equipment for sale including a Sony PCM-D50 with windshield, Rode NTG-3, Rode blimp all in perfect condition with original packing - used for a few tests only. I also have some older gear including a Senheiser MKH 815T, Nagra 4L, Nagra SNN and accessories. I would prefer to sell it in Australia.

Is there a going price for this sort of gear and any comments would be appreciated on selling sites such as eBay or DVInfonet?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Major Player

As an avid eBay-er most "current" style gear would sells for about 50-60% of new price, I've noticed that if they start the listing at a high figure often there very few bites, but a lower starting price often gets more interest and often ends up with a better price.
Older tape gear like the nagra is now almost a collectors item, and I'm often surprised how low they sell for. "T" powered mics are in the same boat for selling price as most current gear wont power them.
As a suggestion put a listing on the forum [if a section for it is there] see how you go and failing that there is eBay.
Don't limit you market just to Australia as there are many countries with a vibrant film industry, DO use ONLY PayPal and never give out your bank details for direct payment from overseas buyers.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your response. I will try eBay as I do not know if I can use PayPal with the DVInfonet site. I will take your advice and list more widely as well. I have bought or I should say “won” a few things on eBay using PayPal so I am part of the way there.

As an occasional buyer I sometimes find eBay frustrating as it is hard to restrict my searches to our of the world for those items that I would like to see before purchase. As far as pricing is concerned I discovered today that eBay provides statistics on past sales for both price range and average price.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Make sure you tell us the eBay link once you've got it all up!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Alastair are you still selling the D50?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio