Sennheiser pack good value? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 29th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser pack good value?

I'm looking at getting a wireless setup. I'm not too familiar with this arrangement but it looks like it might be the go. Am I right in thinking I'll be able to record from the transmitter to my Zoom H4N via that plug in unit shown (into XLR connector on Zoom)? Anyone else have this particular setup?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/643151-REG/Sennheiser_EW_100_G3_Series.html
Pity the 5D doesn't have XLR input : (

Last edited by Peter Damo; November 29th, 2010 at 05:12 AM. Reason: forgot URL
Peter Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Lots of stuff "plugs in" to something so I am not positive what you mean.

In case this is a language issue, the Combo package in that kit includes an SK100 G3 unit called a "Plug-On" and maybe that's what you meant. The plug-on unit is a transmitter not a receiver so no you can't plug that into your Zoom. It's the wrong gender anyway. The Plug-on unit is meant to plug onto a wired microphone to make it wireless.

The EK100 G3 wireless receiver units in the package would be the units that plug into your Zoom.

The lack of XLR inputs on the 5D and all the other video DSLRs is just one of several things that make it a DSLR and not a camcorder and is also one reason why it's "cheap" (wrt video acquisition). Professional XLR inputs, circuitry and controls would make it a pretty clunky still camera.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Les, yes I did mean the SK100. You are certainly right about the lack of specs with the DSLRs as video cameras. I don't mind workarounds though. In fact this board is full of them for all kinds of situations. If its a good result though I'm happy. If the EK100 G3 units plug in to the Zoom..... I'm a happy man! I just don't want to struggle with inferior sound due to bad s/n ratio or excessive floor noise. It seems that these transmitters do a pretty fair job – no drop outs and interference. That's the main thing in getting this setup.
Old November 29th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Functionality

It looks like you could have then, a combination of say one lav mic and the handheld (both wireless) return a signal to a base. My question is about both signals going into the Zoom simultaneously via the receivers. This setup would be useful in a scenario where there is a speaker and additionally a roving mic for questions.

Is that possible given there is one external mic plug on the Zoom?
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm not totally comprehending the initial question but... two G3 systems and a Zoom H4n. The Zoom has two XLR inputs. Each Sennheiser receiver has an XLR output; 1+1= 2 ... What's the problem?

Two transmitters operating on the same frequency with just one receiver? No, that would NOT work.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Rick,
It seems the EK100 G3 BodyPack/Camera Mount Receiver has a 1/8" Mini-Jack output not XLR. At least that's what I could gather from the B&H listing. I might be looking at the wrong thing though.
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The Sennheiser EW-100 system's receiver DOES have an 1/8" output jack, BUT.. it comes with two cables. The CL 100 XLR cable is terminated with an XLR, (1/8" to XLR-M) the other CL 1 cable is 1/8" to 1/8". So you're covered either way.
Cheers
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

OK, I'm starting to feel good about this Rick, thanks.
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:36 PM   #9
DVCreators.Net

I use the same set-up sometimes. Now if you're going to go with a hardwired handheld and a wireless, be sure to download the new Zoom H4n firmware that was just released - it now allows you to see the levels on individual channels.

You might also want to split the headphone/line out with a "Y" cable and feed headphones and a cable into the 5D Mark II. This will give you a nice clean sync track in camera - makes Plural eyes syncing in post faster.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio