Need to some help for removing breathing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 6th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need to some help for removing breathing

To those audio experts out there...

I was at an event filming and had my Marantz field recorder hooked up to the board. Everything was fine except the person operating the mixer did not turn off the mic of the moderator while the panelists were speaking.

I noticed this part way through while I was operating my camera...but there is a good section of footage that has this heavy breathing that is very distracting.

My question is...how do you go about removing this sound?

I am attaching a sample clip....

Thanks,

Brent

Last edited by Brent Hallman; October 17th, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Brent Hallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I listened to the clip , not whole lot of heavy breathing there...
but for the remainder of your clip, you can go to your sound or NLE and automate the volumes to minimize this, takes a while but sounds much better than a gate or downward expander.
If you want you can just simply insert a gate/ downward expander plug in and set the threshold properly and just have it reduce volume below threshold about 10db if possible. or just use a carefully set gate so you don't cut off the sound you actually want.

Good luck.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

A frequency dependent expander would yield more control and be less 'audible' than a open/shut noise gate, which very likely could do more harm than good, if there's no BG to mask the NG's operation... even then, YMMY.
I normally preform this process manually...repeatably applying a downward envelope on the breath sections of the offending track. I do this in an audio editor (Sound Forge) that works in conjunction with my NLE. SF has the ability to repeat the edit process with a keyboard command. "Ctrl+Y" by default, I changed it to a single-key operation, (F8) for an even faster work flow.

Not long ago I read about a plug-in that's specifically designed for this, unfortunately I cant remember where or the name...
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll look in to that. The breathing may not be noticeable to some, but it sounds like a freight train to me!
Brent Hallman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio