DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   RODE Videomic Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/490160-rode-videomic-pro.html)

Chad Johnson March 26th, 2011 11:16 AM

Re: RODE Videomic Pro

Brandon I can vouch for the VideoMic Pro as a simple mic for the T2i. I have recently put Magic Lantern on a T2i, and it works great. Alex (the guy developing ML) is putting up new builds every few days, and it really makes the camera usable for audio. Throw in something like the JuicedLink DT214 and you have a powerhouse. But here's a video test I made with just the VideoMic Pro going straight into the T2i with ML:

Brandon Paschal March 27th, 2011 02:37 AM

Chad,

Thanks for the link. It is very helpful. It sounds very promising for sure. I saw in your signature that you have NTGs1-3. As of right now, the videomic pro appears to be the preferred option. From a workflow perspective, I'm trying to see if I should go with the off-cam videomicpro thru the H4N or just standalone into the camera with ML.

1. How would you compare the Videomic Pro w/ the NTG-2?
2. Would you advise going thru the H4N or are you happy enough w/ mic-->T2i w/ ML?

Thanks again ... --Brandon

Chad Johnson March 27th, 2011 11:30 AM

Brandon

I would recommend the NTG-2 through a mixer to a recorder for any "real" project. AND that's only for outside dialogue. A shotgun is not designed for indoor use remember. You need a hypercardioid like the AT4053b (most bang for your buck) for indoor dialogue. But for "real" projects a mic with a professional XLR connection is your best bet.

I like the VideoMic pro, but to me it's a consumer mic. It's a very nice consumer mic, but it's got 3.5mm jack, and is so tiny. It is great for putting on the camera and walking around, and it's even great on a boom pole when within 15 feet or so. The 20db boost goes a long way to keeping the camera hiss down if you're going straight into a DSLR camera. So yes the VMP into a T2i can sound pretty good (as you heard in my video) but I wouldn't work seriously with it. It depends on the level of your production. If you need a very small simple mic for your own student type projects - go for the VMP. Or if you already have a nicer shotgun for serious work but need a small mic to put on the camera, the VMP is great.
If you are being paid to do video of other people, I would get a professional mic like the NTG-2 or NTG-3. (not that those are the best mics, but I'm assuming you're looking to keep it as inexpensive as possible.)

Ty Ford March 29th, 2011 07:15 AM

Although I haven't used the Rycote suspension mount, this should most problems with mic rattle.

Rycote InVision Video, with the Røde VideoMic Pro fitted | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Chad Johnson March 29th, 2011 10:38 AM

I agree Ty! That's how I'll be setting mine up after I'm done with whatever demo videos I'm using the VMP for. The lyre suspension is really nice.

Colin McDonald March 30th, 2011 01:04 PM

RODE Videomic Pro and Moisture?

Got mine a couple of days ago. One thing I noticed is the lack of silica gel in the packaging unlike my other Rode mics. Which leads me to ask those who have had the chance to try out the Videomic Pro for a few months now - how is its sensitivity to moisture? This isn't mentioned in the documentation other than

Quote:

The VideoMic Pro is made from high-strength ABS, ensuring impact resistance and a longer life, however care must be taken not to get the VideoMic Pro wet. Treat the mic with care, the way you treat your camera, and you should have many years of reliable service.
I am aware that the NTG-3 does very well in damp conditions but is supplied with a metal tube for storage, and both the NTG 1 and 2 are recommended to be stored with the silica gel sachets provided and instructions are given on reactivating the gel when it changes colour.

So, should I be storing the Videomic Pro in a sealed bag with a dessicant and avoiding damp conditions when using it outside or what? Any ideas?

Chad Johnson March 30th, 2011 01:12 PM

It goes without saying that you should not be using a mic outside in wet conditions. That being said, I live in North Western California and we get a lot of rain. I have never had any mic I've ever owned crap out on me for any reason, much less due to moisture in the air. If you've got some silica gel packs, throw one in with the mic when storing if you're concerned.

Jon Fairhurst March 30th, 2011 02:40 PM

For condenser mics, Rode recommends heating the included silica pack until it turns color and storing the mic with the pack near the diaphragm. This is especially true if you use it without a pop (spit?) shield.

Colin McDonald March 30th, 2011 03:27 PM

That 's my point, Jon. Rode's description of the Videomic Pro:

Quote:

•Broadcast recording quality condenser microphone
yet there's no dessicant supplied or advice to get some sachets and use them.

Andy Wilkinson April 8th, 2011 01:11 PM

RODE Videomic Pro & Panasonic TM900

I posted most of this info in the Panasonic TM900 Thread but think selected bits are relevant here so, although we all hate double posting, I've placed an edited extract in this thread as I think it has info which is of use to a wider readership.

My Rode VMP arrived this morning. They were not kidding when someone said "you double the weight of the Rode VMP when you put a battery in it" - it really is VERY light and you immediately wonder if it'll withstand the rigors of professional use that the name implies. Worry not I thought, it has a 10 year guarantee (and I already know from personal experience with Rode that they are truly superb at sorting out any rare problems that might occur).

The VMP is almost exactly the same length as the TM900 I intend it for (it'll also see service on my Canon 7D) and the fact that its so light means it should be a perfect match for such a tiny cam as the Panasonic.

Next, getting the battery in (and yes I did read the excellent instructions first!). I have to say it was not easy, very fiddly and I thought, who the hell thought this was a good way to design a battery compartment! But once you've done it once, its obvious. It really is. I then re-tried it about 3 or 4 times, just to prove to myself that I could replace a battery in front of a client in a hurry, if I needed to, without looking stupid!!! Should not be necessary as the battery lasts a very long time according to the specs. Some clients might still think I look stupid ;-)

Next those rubber suspension bands - yes they seem to come off all too easily. My oh my - I'll be Supergluing them in place (as I've described I did with my original Rode Videomic on this forum before). That will prevent what will become an annoying frustration for sure!

Then I came to put the Rode Videomic Pro on the Panasonic's TM900s accessory microphone shoe attachment. This is where I was a little surprised (actually disappointed). It would not fit!!!!....not without CONSIDERABLE force (and yes I had fully retracted the shoe tightening screw before I attempted this). So much force that I decide to give up before I had a load of broken plastic in my hands that was once a microphone.

Now I'm a very practical type so the solution was easy. It was obvious from inspection that the Rode VMPs metal shoe was a fraction (and I mean maybe less than 1 mm) too wide to fit into the TM900's metal shoe.

So, I took my brand new £149 Rode Videomic Pro and ran a fine file over both outer side edge surfaces of the Rode VMPs metal shoe to shave off the anodized black covering (and a tiny amount of the metal beneath). All is now well - it fits without any problems, like a dream. Like it should have done out of the box...Now, I have no idea if this is a manufacturing tolerance error with the Rode Videomic Pro's shoe being too wide or the TM900s shoe attachment being too narrow but its a simple solution that took me 1 minute to execute. However, if this is not just a one off, I'm sure it will probably annoy someone (somewhere) that they effectively have to alter a brand new, just out of the box VMP using tools just to be able to use it as intended.

Just had time to switch it on, check it works and take a few snaps. Sure, as feared, the cable is a bit long so I'll be sorting out the best way to deal with that when I have more play time. If you want to see pics of it on the TM900 look here where I'll post more info sometime soon:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...ml#post1636790

Colin McDonald April 8th, 2011 01:42 PM

Its a great mic, but don't expect miracles outside in a high wind. Since we have a precedent of referring to a post in another forum :-), I reported about trying it outside in http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...-dead-cat.html

"I failed [to avoid wind noise] miserably myself yesterday when trying out a Rode Videomic Pro on an open top deck bus tour. OK my free deadcat hasn't arrived yet, but I don't think it would have made any difference as the wind force was nearly taking the mic right out of the shockmount."

Allan Black April 9th, 2011 01:19 AM

Andy, Rode did have a small quantity of out of spec aluminium shoes that were delivered and installed on VMPs (only) before they knew of the problem. The batch checks were Ok but understandably they don't check every single one by fitting it on a camera.

If anyone else has that problem, loosen the screw and turn the shoe 180 degrees and try it before anything else. Shouldn't have too I know but it works on some, if it doesn't .. you don't want to file it down and you're not satisfied and why should you be, as reported elsewhere contact Rode support for an immediate replacement.

Cheers.

Andy Wilkinson April 9th, 2011 03:08 AM

Allan,

The shoe would not fit with a 180 degree turn - I measured both ends with calipers and they were similar/still too wide. For the record the Serial Number is a little over 1800 and it was bought in the UK from an amazon marketplace seller. It was a simple and very quick solution to what looks to be the only metal part of the unit - I spent 20 odd years as an R&D Engineer in industry so it really was not a problem for me to work out what was needed (!) but thanks for confirming it was a Rode thing and not a Panasonic thing.

Sure, I bet someone will not feel as brave about very slightly modifying a brand new item with a fine file - and for those people they should do just as you suggest. As I mentioned, Rode have an exemplary record in dealing with any problems that might occur with their gear - something I found out from personal experience a few years ago (as you know) and it's one of the main reasons I now often buy their products.

Colin McDonald April 9th, 2011 01:40 PM

Since mine has a similar but slightly lower S/N than Andy's, this prompted me to try the VMP out on all the accessory shoes I might need it to fit. No problem with any of the cameras (all Canon) but a VERY tight fit on a PAGlight 1021 accessory bracket.

Having said that, I had to operate on the two shoe fittings on the PAGlight bracket when I first got it. It wouldn't take an Rode SM3 shockmount or a Sennheiser EK 100 G2 without being opened out a bit with a large flat bladed screwdriver. It needed opened out a bit more with the VMP.

The VMP worked fine with Rycote hotshoe extension bars.

George Logothetis April 10th, 2011 09:53 AM

Was looking for this mic, but the only place I ended up was amazon. and that specific one changes price by 100 pounds every day :O

Is it worth the money or will I be ok with the simple video mic instead?

Andy Wilkinson April 10th, 2011 11:57 AM

Wait until a market place seller (or someone more local to you in Greece) has them back in stock again at a sensible price. On amazonuk they seem to have jumped to about £180 from the £149 + free delivery that I paid just a few days ago.

Was using my VMP today and it's an excellent mic - really pleased with the sound and small footprint/light weight of the thing on camera.

I don't think I'll be using my original Rode Vodeomic much any more. Apart from the improvement in sound I get with the new Rode VMP, the old one also sticks out a lot at the back (as well as way out in front) when on a Canon DSLR such as my 7D, which is awkward to put it mildly. If you need to put a mic on the camera (usually the worst place for any mic...as we all know) then the VMP is the mic to go for, especially on a DSLR because of the +20dB setting and what it does with the AGC.

I also tried it again today on my Panasonic TM900 camcorder and the difference in audio quality between using it and using the on-board cam mics was very dramatic. I did a "with or without" direct comparison (of just my kids playing around in the garden while we cooked a BBQ). It's really obvious which option worked best - don't think I'll be using the TM900 again without the VMP on it! Very impressive...

So that's another great mic from Rode in my collection!

Colin McDonald April 10th, 2011 02:23 PM

Prebooked mine from CVP Rode VideoMic Pro - Compact Shotgun Microphone (camera mic) and it arrived a week ago. Don't know how the delivery would be for you to Greece but you could ask them. Very reliable supplier in my experience. They have a "price match" deal at the moment on this.

George Logothetis April 11th, 2011 04:17 AM

haha! guys I am located in the UK, just havent changed the Greece on my profile. also the one on amazon atm is 261 pounds O.o

Colin McDonald April 11th, 2011 06:44 AM

Here's another UK supplier:
RODE VIDEOMIC PRO at Studiospares

Dale McClelland April 15th, 2011 06:33 PM

I received my Rode Videomic Pro today. I can't get the battery cover off to install a battery. I read the comments in this thread about the cover being difficult, but it looks like everyone figured it out - except me. I followed the instructions in the manual, but when I push up on the indentation, nothing happens. I have pushed pretty hard, but don't want to push any harder and break something.

Is there a technique beyond what the manual says?

EDIT: never mind, I finally pushed really hard and it came off. It was a pain to replace the cover too.

Allan Black April 18th, 2011 04:24 PM

Dale, with approx. 70hrs battery life, I wrote that installation procedure from the VMP manual on a small piece of paper to go in the mic case.

Rode have sent 7000 VMPs to their dealers since Feb and they could have sold twice that many in that time, the Videomic is also in production, world demand remains constant.

Cheers.

Claire Watson April 20th, 2011 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1636844)
Its a great mic, but don't expect miracles outside in a high wind. Since we have a precedent of referring to a post in another forum :-), I reported about trying it outside in http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...-dead-cat.html

"I failed [to avoid wind noise] miserably myself yesterday when trying out a Rode Videomic Pro on an open top deck bus tour. OK my free deadcat hasn't arrived yet, but I don't think it would have made any difference as the wind force was nearly taking the mic right out of the shockmount."

Hi Colin,

Like Andy I want a vm pro mic for my Panasonic TM900, hoping to get one when the next batch arrives in the UK (at a sensible price). Just wondering how long it takes to receive the deadcat from Rode though as all my work is outdoors, so has yours arrived yet?

Thanks...

Andy Wilkinson April 20th, 2011 03:22 AM

Hi Claire,

I hope Colin has his as then I might get mine shortly! My deadcat has yet to arrive (Rode said it could take up to 6 weeks).

I find the VMP fairly susceptible to breezes so I'm really hoping it will arrive soon!

I tried to fit the one from my original Videomic - in desperation but it won't fit properly. No question though, the sound with the VMP on my TM900 is way better than anything from the on-camera mics, especially when outside as the TM900 is very prone to picking up unwanted noise (as I'm sure you've found out). It's a great mic. For the record I paid £149 inc VAT and delivery.

Chad Johnson April 20th, 2011 12:21 PM

I got my deadcat within a couple of weeks of registering my VMP. I haven't tested it in the wind, but I did find it to be quite tight and a bit hard to get on. I suggest putting it on with the mic off the camera.

Colin McDonald April 20th, 2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire Watson (Post 1641023)
... so has yours arrived yet?

No but I"ll let you know. That's 3 weeks now.

Claire Watson April 21st, 2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1641032)
I tried to fit the one from my original Videomic - in desperation but it won't fit properly.

Hi Andy, thanks for that info. I believe I still have a Deadcat kicking around somewhere for an NTG1 I bought a while ago. Maybe that would cover the vital parts of the little mic with the help of some tape, elastic bands and/or scissors!

Ha! Just while I am waiting... though I haven't even got the mic yet, no one seems to have them in the UK.

Claire Watson April 21st, 2011 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1641246)

Thanks Colin.

Chris Joy April 21st, 2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1641246)

Three weeks? I registered mine on Feb 13 and haven't seen mine yet. Got an email from rode on Feb 21 stating the weather had delayed things but I shoud expect mine in about 3 weeks. That would have put delivery somewhere around a month ago. Very disappointing. Anyone else get the dead cat?

Colin McDonald April 22nd, 2011 02:16 AM

I would caution against high expectations of the deadcat. Perhaps someone who already has their deadcat for the Videomic Pro could confirm this, but I suspect that any wind catching the rear of the mic is going to be noisy.

I tried fitting the somewhat larger furry from an NTG-2 on to my VIdeomic Pro and it blowing on it from various angles (went through all this with the NTG-2 when deciding which bits to tape up). The front end was quite well protected but the back end wasn't. I would expect the proper furry to be better but as is often said there's no substitute for a full zepplin/blimp in a high wind.

Perhaps the TheWindCutter.com people will have a custom furry for the VMP available soon as in this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...on-zoomh1.html

Will make your gear look like Dennis the Menace has taken up video though.

Andy Wilkinson April 22nd, 2011 04:45 AM

Rycote make a deadcat (mini windjammer) for the Rode Videomic Pro too - so that's something else to consider for moderate protection if the freebie covering from Rode turns out to be not very effective.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rycote/...in/photostream

Sure, I'd also love to hear how people are getting on with the Rode deadcat (delivery and efficacy).

Andy Wilkinson April 23rd, 2011 04:24 AM

My Rode deadcat for the VMP just arrived. Very black! It is indeed a snug fit. Very light but seems to cover all the foam well and then can be firmly closed near the back with the velcro fastening. I assume it goes on with the Rode label and velcro bit uppermost.

Only a very slight breeze here today so I may or may not hear how effective it is - just filming the kids running around when we have a BBQ later.

Claire, just misses the top right of the frame on the TM900 on full wide but only if you brush the hair the right way. With care and occassional checking it should be just fine!

Claire Watson April 23rd, 2011 12:45 PM

Andy,

I will look forward to hearing from how effective the DeadCat is in wind

Yes we have had a great April here in the UK, not much wind or rain and lots of warm sunshine, though I sowed some grass seed today to repair my lawn and hey it's now raining here in Stocksfield. That did it!

Question.. did the DeadCat arrive direct from Rode in Australia or from some UK/ EU source?

and what about Colin's, who has been waiting longer?

Hmm!

Andy Wilkinson April 23rd, 2011 01:08 PM

RODE Videomic Pro and TM900

Deadcat is in Rode packaging, made in China and arrived from a distributor in London in a large A4 envelope that I thought might be empty as it was so light when I picked it up off the door mat.

Had some fun with it on camera this afternoon - but we've had no breeze to test it yet.

I've been thinking about it some more Claire. In any decent breeze the very thin/light hair is going to blow around a bit. In addition, to be most effective, the hair has to trap some still air around the mic so its probably best to "ruffle up" the hair a bit too. Both these things mean a few stray hairs will no doubt end up in the top right hand corner of frame on the Panasonic TM900 - when its on full wide (35mm).

So I guess it just means zooming in a bit on that cam when the deadcat is in use - or mounting the VMP on a simple bracket so it's a bit further away than where the little TM900's shoe adapter places it.

Chad Johnson April 23rd, 2011 01:21 PM

I think if the VMP is on the Rycote InVision suspension like in the photo above: 055409 MINI WINDJAMMER for Rode Video Mic Pro | Flickr - Photo Sharing! the mic will be a bit higher, and the fur will not be an issue.

Andy Wilkinson April 23rd, 2011 01:46 PM

I have a spare Invision Video mount so will try it right now.

EDIT: OK just have - and sure enough it's well out of the way (and adjustably so). It looks a bit ungainly...both the Invision and VMP probably weight in total a similar amount to the tiny TM900. The otherwise excellent Invision's Lyre mounts are probably a little too stiff for such a light mic as well (note: the VMP's rubber band arrangement is "very soft" by comparison - there must be a reason Rode designed it that way).

But at least its another way - so cheers for the idea Chad.

Andy Wilkinson April 24th, 2011 05:28 AM

Just been out this morning with my kids filming them ride bikes in a local cul-de-sac (i.e. fairly sheltered). We have a light breeze right now, about 10 mph according to the local weather page on the BBC News website. I used the TM900 in manual, with manual audio, Rode VMP with the new deadcat and the VMP set at the normal attenuation setting, without the high pass filter engaged.

Two observations having just reviewed the raw clips back home on a big monitor.

1. As predicted, on wider angles of view with this particular camera and its mounting shoe position, you get a few of the deadcat's hairs blowing around in the top right of frame!
2. I got quite a bit of wind noise - much more so than I imagined I would get. I was not monitoring sound with headphones (it was just with the kids playing around on bikes/family type stuff.....please forgive me for breaking one of the 10 commandments of sound!!!!). I did not try the high pass filter (wish I had now...) and I did not try it without the deadcat on - for a true scientific comparison. Claire, I imagine the sound was certainly better than it would have been just with the TM900's on-board mics (I did not try that but I know from experience that this cam's built-in mics are terrible at picking up wind noise even in the lightest of breezes).

For sure, I need to do some more tests with the VMP and its deadcat but from this VERY tentative initial observation I think Colin hit the nail on the head, don't expect too much when it gets breezy!

Colin McDonald April 24th, 2011 07:03 AM

Thanks for that, Andy. To be fair, I don't think the VMP will be any worse than any other small condenser in a strongish wind. It probably doesn't do too well under water either:-)

Won't put me off using it but I tend to avoid on camera mics in the wind anyway.

Andy Wilkinson April 24th, 2011 07:21 AM

RODE Videomic Pro & Deadcat on TM900 - Pictures

2 Attachment(s)
Very true! Here are a couple of pics of the Rode Videomic Pro with its Rode deadcat mounted on the Panasonic TM900 accessory shoe. One shows how the deadcat fits across the back of the mic.

Andy Wilkinson April 24th, 2011 07:41 AM

RODE Videomic Pro & Deadcat on Canon 7D - Picture

1 Attachment(s)
And here is a quick picture of the Rode Videomic Pro with its Rode deadcat mounted on the Canon 7D (with a Canon 10-22mm lens on).

Chad Johnson April 24th, 2011 11:51 AM

I think that Rycote furry has shorter hairs, and most likely has better wind rejection. And is anyone has an InVision suspension with show mount - you'll have the mic a bit higher.