DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   RODE Videomic Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/490160-rode-videomic-pro.html)

Allan Black January 30th, 2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran (Post 1610042)
I think this mic is geared towards folks that want to put it on camera, but as all audio professionals know, the key to really great sound is to get the mic close to the subject. So, I think that the VideoMic Pro is going to appeal to those that know that they're going to get "ok" sound with it on camera, and then I'd like to see more people getting used to the idea of improving sound quality by using the VMP with an extension cable on a pistol grip, stand or on a boom pole.

Exactly Guy, RODE doesn't want to see ppl reading about the +20dB feature then buying the VMP thinking that switching it on will bring their talents voices 'on mic'

And there was some concern about the danger of a user switching it on at a loud rock event and suddenly blasting +20dB into his headphones. I included a prominent warning about this in the VMP manual .. it's worth mentioning it in the vids guys.

Cheers.

Jon Fairhurst January 30th, 2011 09:59 PM

When using this with a consumer-input devices, such as a DSLR, a 20 dB boost is what you want - as long as you can reduce the analog gain of the recorder by 20 dB.

That's how the juicedLink makes so-so recorders sound good. I have yet to have it blast my ears out, since the camera will clip long before that +20dB gets to my downstream headphones.

I have a MicroTrack II. It has a horrid front end. By adding the juicedLink, it's nearly the equal of the H4n. (It still has some audible digital cross talk, but the hiss is fairly acceptable with the JL.)

I see the +20dB boost as a Really Good Thing™. :)

Still, the JL lets you use pretty much any mic, and it gives you a trim control that you can use when recording. With the VideoMic Pro and DSLR gain controlled in the menus, if your signal gets loud and clips, you're stuck with it, unless you want a big "CLUNK" and a 20 dB reduction.

Patrick McLoad January 31st, 2011 10:19 AM

For what it's worth, I just purchased a Rode NGT-2 mic and dead-cat furry windscreen for my PMW-350 rig....gotta be much better than the stock mic, stereo or not. I have a couple of old and long Sennheiser shotgun mics, but they require a special battery. I expect to be using phantom power all the time anyway. Will have to find/make a thin rubber sleeve so that the mic fits in the Sony holder. I will not use electrical tape...that's so bush.

Patrick

Allan Black February 8th, 2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1613022)
And there was some concern about the danger of a user switching it on at a loud rock event and suddenly blasting +20dB into his headphones. I included a prominent warning about this in the VMP manual .. it's worth mentioning it in the vids guys.

Hi guys, a couple of folk have asked if I write the Rode mic manuals which I do not. The above was a suggestion which was included, apologies to those who thought otherwise.

Cheers.

Jon Braeley February 9th, 2011 07:02 AM

Can anyone tell me what the options are if you wanted to run this into a small recorder - The Tascam DR-100 for example?

Jon Fairhurst February 9th, 2011 12:19 PM

It should plug right in to any recorder with a 1/8" mic input. The mic doesn't need power, so there are no special requirements.

Unfortunately, the DR-100 doesn't have this input. The 1/4" input is at line level, which needs something like a 60dB boost. You'd need to rig up a 1/8" jack to XLR plug adapter to make use of the Videomic Pro.

The DR-100 has very good (though not great) preamps. I'd stick with XLR mics for the DR-100.

Martin Wiosna February 16th, 2011 10:39 PM

anyone know how will this compare to my NTG2?

Jon Braeley February 21st, 2011 09:54 AM

Re: RODE Videomic Pro

I just tested this with my GH2 using a simple 3.5 to 2.5 adapter. I get a single mono track recorded on the rigth channel only of the stereo track (left channel empty). Would this be correct does anyone know?

Scott Bellefeuille February 21st, 2011 12:24 PM

Jon, sounds like maybe your 3.5 to 2.5 adaptor was a mono adapter? I know on the 5DII the Rode records to both channels.

Brandon Paschal March 26th, 2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1613051)
When using this with a consumer-input devices, such as a DSLR, a 20 dB boost is what you want - as long as you can reduce the analog gain of the recorder by 20 dB.

That's how the juicedLink makes so-so recorders sound good. I have yet to have it blast my ears out, since the camera will clip long before that +20dB gets to my downstream headphones.

I have a MicroTrack II. It has a horrid front end. By adding the juicedLink, it's nearly the equal of the H4n. (It still has some audible digital cross talk, but the hiss is fairly acceptable with the JL.).

Jon, you've been tremendously helpful in helping me sort out my audio solution. I have a Canon T2i and the H4n ... my Rode NTG-1 (thanks Guy and DVeStore from a while back). Unfortunately my NTG-1 has been damage and I'm looking for a new mic solution (smaller would be better). Would there be any issue with the T2i, H4n, Videomic Pro set up? Looking into magic lantern now that it's available for T2i as well.

Thoughts would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

Chad Johnson March 26th, 2011 11:16 AM

Brandon I can vouch for the VideoMic Pro as a simple mic for the T2i. I have recently put Magic Lantern on a T2i, and it works great. Alex (the guy developing ML) is putting up new builds every few days, and it really makes the camera usable for audio. Throw in something like the JuicedLink DT214 and you have a powerhouse. But here's a video test I made with just the VideoMic Pro going straight into the T2i with ML:

Brandon Paschal March 27th, 2011 02:37 AM

Chad,

Thanks for the link. It is very helpful. It sounds very promising for sure. I saw in your signature that you have NTGs1-3. As of right now, the videomic pro appears to be the preferred option. From a workflow perspective, I'm trying to see if I should go with the off-cam videomicpro thru the H4N or just standalone into the camera with ML.

1. How would you compare the Videomic Pro w/ the NTG-2?
2. Would you advise going thru the H4N or are you happy enough w/ mic-->T2i w/ ML?

Thanks again ... --Brandon

Chad Johnson March 27th, 2011 11:30 AM

Brandon

I would recommend the NTG-2 through a mixer to a recorder for any "real" project. AND that's only for outside dialogue. A shotgun is not designed for indoor use remember. You need a hypercardioid like the AT4053b (most bang for your buck) for indoor dialogue. But for "real" projects a mic with a professional XLR connection is your best bet.

I like the VideoMic pro, but to me it's a consumer mic. It's a very nice consumer mic, but it's got 3.5mm jack, and is so tiny. It is great for putting on the camera and walking around, and it's even great on a boom pole when within 15 feet or so. The 20db boost goes a long way to keeping the camera hiss down if you're going straight into a DSLR camera. So yes the VMP into a T2i can sound pretty good (as you heard in my video) but I wouldn't work seriously with it. It depends on the level of your production. If you need a very small simple mic for your own student type projects - go for the VMP. Or if you already have a nicer shotgun for serious work but need a small mic to put on the camera, the VMP is great.
If you are being paid to do video of other people, I would get a professional mic like the NTG-2 or NTG-3. (not that those are the best mics, but I'm assuming you're looking to keep it as inexpensive as possible.)

Ty Ford March 29th, 2011 07:15 AM

Although I haven't used the Rycote suspension mount, this should most problems with mic rattle.

Rycote InVision Video, with the Røde VideoMic Pro fitted | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Chad Johnson March 29th, 2011 10:38 AM

I agree Ty! That's how I'll be setting mine up after I'm done with whatever demo videos I'm using the VMP for. The lyre suspension is really nice.