DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   RODE Videomic Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/490160-rode-videomic-pro.html)

Allan Black April 18th, 2011 04:24 PM

Re: RODE Videomic Pro

Dale, with approx. 70hrs battery life, I wrote that installation procedure from the VMP manual on a small piece of paper to go in the mic case.

Rode have sent 7000 VMPs to their dealers since Feb and they could have sold twice that many in that time, the Videomic is also in production, world demand remains constant.

Cheers.

Claire Watson April 20th, 2011 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1636844)
Its a great mic, but don't expect miracles outside in a high wind. Since we have a precedent of referring to a post in another forum :-), I reported about trying it outside in http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...-dead-cat.html

"I failed [to avoid wind noise] miserably myself yesterday when trying out a Rode Videomic Pro on an open top deck bus tour. OK my free deadcat hasn't arrived yet, but I don't think it would have made any difference as the wind force was nearly taking the mic right out of the shockmount."

Hi Colin,

Like Andy I want a vm pro mic for my Panasonic TM900, hoping to get one when the next batch arrives in the UK (at a sensible price). Just wondering how long it takes to receive the deadcat from Rode though as all my work is outdoors, so has yours arrived yet?

Thanks...

Andy Wilkinson April 20th, 2011 03:22 AM

Hi Claire,

I hope Colin has his as then I might get mine shortly! My deadcat has yet to arrive (Rode said it could take up to 6 weeks).

I find the VMP fairly susceptible to breezes so I'm really hoping it will arrive soon!

I tried to fit the one from my original Videomic - in desperation but it won't fit properly. No question though, the sound with the VMP on my TM900 is way better than anything from the on-camera mics, especially when outside as the TM900 is very prone to picking up unwanted noise (as I'm sure you've found out). It's a great mic. For the record I paid £149 inc VAT and delivery.

Chad Johnson April 20th, 2011 12:21 PM

I got my deadcat within a couple of weeks of registering my VMP. I haven't tested it in the wind, but I did find it to be quite tight and a bit hard to get on. I suggest putting it on with the mic off the camera.

Colin McDonald April 20th, 2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire Watson (Post 1641023)
... so has yours arrived yet?

No but I"ll let you know. That's 3 weeks now.

Claire Watson April 21st, 2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1641032)
I tried to fit the one from my original Videomic - in desperation but it won't fit properly.

Hi Andy, thanks for that info. I believe I still have a Deadcat kicking around somewhere for an NTG1 I bought a while ago. Maybe that would cover the vital parts of the little mic with the help of some tape, elastic bands and/or scissors!

Ha! Just while I am waiting... though I haven't even got the mic yet, no one seems to have them in the UK.

Claire Watson April 21st, 2011 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1641246)

Thanks Colin.

Chris Joy April 21st, 2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1641246)

Three weeks? I registered mine on Feb 13 and haven't seen mine yet. Got an email from rode on Feb 21 stating the weather had delayed things but I shoud expect mine in about 3 weeks. That would have put delivery somewhere around a month ago. Very disappointing. Anyone else get the dead cat?

Colin McDonald April 22nd, 2011 02:16 AM

I would caution against high expectations of the deadcat. Perhaps someone who already has their deadcat for the Videomic Pro could confirm this, but I suspect that any wind catching the rear of the mic is going to be noisy.

I tried fitting the somewhat larger furry from an NTG-2 on to my VIdeomic Pro and it blowing on it from various angles (went through all this with the NTG-2 when deciding which bits to tape up). The front end was quite well protected but the back end wasn't. I would expect the proper furry to be better but as is often said there's no substitute for a full zepplin/blimp in a high wind.

Perhaps the TheWindCutter.com people will have a custom furry for the VMP available soon as in this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...on-zoomh1.html

Will make your gear look like Dennis the Menace has taken up video though.

Andy Wilkinson April 22nd, 2011 04:45 AM

Rycote make a deadcat (mini windjammer) for the Rode Videomic Pro too - so that's something else to consider for moderate protection if the freebie covering from Rode turns out to be not very effective.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rycote/...in/photostream

Sure, I'd also love to hear how people are getting on with the Rode deadcat (delivery and efficacy).

Andy Wilkinson April 23rd, 2011 04:24 AM

My Rode deadcat for the VMP just arrived. Very black! It is indeed a snug fit. Very light but seems to cover all the foam well and then can be firmly closed near the back with the velcro fastening. I assume it goes on with the Rode label and velcro bit uppermost.

Only a very slight breeze here today so I may or may not hear how effective it is - just filming the kids running around when we have a BBQ later.

Claire, just misses the top right of the frame on the TM900 on full wide but only if you brush the hair the right way. With care and occassional checking it should be just fine!

Claire Watson April 23rd, 2011 12:45 PM

Andy,

I will look forward to hearing from how effective the DeadCat is in wind

Yes we have had a great April here in the UK, not much wind or rain and lots of warm sunshine, though I sowed some grass seed today to repair my lawn and hey it's now raining here in Stocksfield. That did it!

Question.. did the DeadCat arrive direct from Rode in Australia or from some UK/ EU source?

and what about Colin's, who has been waiting longer?

Hmm!

Andy Wilkinson April 23rd, 2011 01:08 PM

RODE Videomic Pro and TM900

Deadcat is in Rode packaging, made in China and arrived from a distributor in London in a large A4 envelope that I thought might be empty as it was so light when I picked it up off the door mat.

Had some fun with it on camera this afternoon - but we've had no breeze to test it yet.

I've been thinking about it some more Claire. In any decent breeze the very thin/light hair is going to blow around a bit. In addition, to be most effective, the hair has to trap some still air around the mic so its probably best to "ruffle up" the hair a bit too. Both these things mean a few stray hairs will no doubt end up in the top right hand corner of frame on the Panasonic TM900 - when its on full wide (35mm).

So I guess it just means zooming in a bit on that cam when the deadcat is in use - or mounting the VMP on a simple bracket so it's a bit further away than where the little TM900's shoe adapter places it.

Chad Johnson April 23rd, 2011 01:21 PM

I think if the VMP is on the Rycote InVision suspension like in the photo above: 055409 MINI WINDJAMMER for Rode Video Mic Pro | Flickr - Photo Sharing! the mic will be a bit higher, and the fur will not be an issue.

Andy Wilkinson April 23rd, 2011 01:46 PM

I have a spare Invision Video mount so will try it right now.

EDIT: OK just have - and sure enough it's well out of the way (and adjustably so). It looks a bit ungainly...both the Invision and VMP probably weight in total a similar amount to the tiny TM900. The otherwise excellent Invision's Lyre mounts are probably a little too stiff for such a light mic as well (note: the VMP's rubber band arrangement is "very soft" by comparison - there must be a reason Rode designed it that way).

But at least its another way - so cheers for the idea Chad.