Anyone compared the Sony PCM-M10 and Tascam DR-2D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone compared the Sony PCM-M10 and Tascam DR-2D

Looking to pick up a new hand held recorder and these 2 models jump out the most for my price range. I have a Sony D50 now and love it. I'm looking for something a little smaller though. I know the quality of the M10 is great but I don't know about the internal mics. I'm going to be recording and filming some very loud live music and I know the D50 mics can handle it but I'm not so sure about the M10.

Right now I have the D50 and an iRiver H320 that I use either to record a SBD record out or use a Church Audio preamp/omni mics combo. The CA mics are specifically modified to handle very loud sound with very little distortion.

I also film weddings occasionally and have at least 2 coming up. For these I use a lapel mic and preamp into the iRiver and drop it in the groom's pocket for the vows. This works really well so I need something that can replace the iRiver for this purpose when it dies one day. The main difference between the Tascam and M10 for this purpose is the Tascam has the line in and mic in plugs on top which would be much better for carrying in a side pocket. For the Sony I'd have to get a right angle adapter.

The Tascam also has a dual mode record feature. You can either record one source at 2 different levels or 2 sources separately for a 4 track recording. For music it means I could run a SBD feed to the line in and either use the internal mics or my CA mics into the mic in plug. The only drawback is that you apparently can't adjust the line in level while it's recording. Once you set the levels you basically have to let it go. I believe you can adjust the mic in levels on the fly though. This wouldn't be to bad because I could always record in 24 bit at purposely lower levels to be safe and amplify in post.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone compared the Sony PCM-M10 and Tascam DR-2D

I have the Tascam DR-2D. One thing to note is that you can't use dual recording when it is set to "line in". It must me set to "mic in" I found this out after I got it and was disappointed. Its a great recorder other than that.

Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone compared the Sony PCM-M10 and Tascam DR-2D

Yea, you can record line in + internals or mic in source. I had read that before I bought it. I wanted to be able to take a sound board feed and mix it with a mic source so that suited my purposes well.

My only real complaint is that in dual mode you can't adjust the line in source while recording. At least I can record in 24 bit and be conservative though.

Overall I'm pleased with the Tascam. The internal mics compared to my PCM-D50 are really close to my ear.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio