When do you use lo-cut filter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 26th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #1
Inner Circle

When do you use lo-cut filter?

I'm not sure why but when recording human speech, I have always turn on the lo-cut filter on my Rode NTG-1 mics. And, when I use my Shure FP-31 or FP-33 field mixer with a wireless lav, I use the mixer's lo-cut filter.

Is it true that it filters low frequencies outside the range of the human voice or should I consider being more precise with the filter's usage?

When do you use it and not use it?

TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: When do you use lo-cut filter?

Yes it removes the low frequencies that you may not wish to record outside of the human voice range and can also be useful in cutting down low frequency rumble due to wind or distant traffic rumble on location.

Most filters or attenuators tend to be in circuit in between the mic capsule and op amp so can also prevent low frequency overload or distortion, some mixers have a two stage cut and one is normally OK for general use but the second stage tends to be more severe and for use in very noisy environments, you can also apply low cut in the audio dubbing stage but the ones on mic's or mixers tend to be more useful for cutting unwanted location noise.

They can also be useful to reduce the proximity effect that raises the low frequency content on some microphones if they are used closer to the person speaking.
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

+1 Best to turn on the mics low cut for all spoken voice recording .. anything in speech below 80cycles is likely to cause trouble down the line, especially when mixing in backgnd music and Fx.

Some mics don't don't have low cuts so engage the next low cut in the circuit .. at the mixer. In the studio use a separate pop filter that clips to the rig .. to keep the talent in place back from the mic. and helps to keep deep male voices from swamping the soundtrack.

If the talent complains later he can't hear his dulcet lows don't turn up the low end on the console .. you're just bringing up the mud. That's probably going to be worse.

So that's one time you could say 'we'll fix it in the mix' and get away with it. :)

Cheers.
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The trouble is, the FP-31, 32, 32a had steep HP filters around 150Hz, to the point that it would remove any 'body', thinning out the voice to excess. I cuss and spit on the ground recalling those dogs.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

That actually explains why I thought it was a bit thin going thru my FP31. Do you know if it was improved in the FP33?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

FP-33: "Down 6 dB at 150Hz. The roll-off slope is 6 dB per octave."
FP-32: Graphic from manual: Looks the same.
Attached Thumbnails
When do you use lo-cut filter?-hp-filter.jpg  
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio