Sennheiser EW100-ENG G3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 28th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser EW100-ENG G3

I am currently using the Senn EW100-ENG G2 wireless mic’s for shooting weddings. My question is this: Is the Senn EW112-P G3 a better mic system? I am starting to get some feedback from my G2’s and am thinking about upgrading to the G3 system. Is anyone using the G3 for weddings?

Thanks
Gary
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

re: Sennheiser EW100-ENG G3

I have been using EW 100-ENG G2 several years without problems. I find it very solid and reliable. What kind of feedback do you get? If you have a plug on transmitter and use also the PA system at the venue then it depends on the type of mic used with the plug-on transmitter if you get feedback or not.
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Another G2 EW-100 user and never had any feedback.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I should have said Static and not feedback. I have used the G2 for years and never had a problem with Static before but for the past 3 weddings I am getting a little static
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Have you checked your cables? Could be one of them starting to get fritzy, not necessarily your mics.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i've been using the G3 lately. Compared to the G2s, I dont really hear any difference. I certain dont have any static noise in either one of them but then again I dont know much about audio.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you get static then check your cables. Turn the your transmitter off and check at the reciver if you have static or interference. If the reciver picks up something without your transmitter active then pair the set to another frequency. You can have something interfering on that frequency. If you change to another frequency does that change anything? Each transmitter must have their own (different) frequency. Check the reciver squelch setting, normally on 10-15 dB.
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #8
Major Player

Re: Sennheiser EW100-ENG G3

Mine started making really bad static last week, more than it normally does. I have never like my G2, nothing but interference. I could be 10 feet away in a straight line of site and get interference. Then last week the mic cable went bad. Try another mic that might help. I would get the new sony UMP-V1 over the G3. It has tremendous range with no problems ever. Best yet they are only $409 after rebate. I think it sounds better to.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Randall View Post
I am currently using the Senn EW100-ENG G2 wireless mic’s for shooting weddings. My question is this: Is the Senn EW112-P G3 a better mic system? I am starting to get some feedback from my G2’s and am thinking about upgrading to the G3 system. Is anyone using the G3 for weddings?
Yes - the G3 is better than the G2.

The camera receiver is diversity in the G3 (non-diversity in the G1 and G2) so you will get a safer reception - and the frequency switching window is wider.

I think that the selectivity is also better on the G3.

However - feedback and static would not be different on a G3 compared to the G2. So check your cables as has already been suggested.

Regarding range - some broadcast professionals dis a walk-test for range at Pinewood studios in the UK recently - surprisingly the best was the G3, beating systems many times the price. Although not strictly scientific, all systems were in the same place on the body and the same antenna was used on the receivers.

I hope this helps.
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Asseff View Post
Mine started making really bad static last week, more than it normally does. I have never like my G2, nothing but interference. I could be 10 feet away in a straight line of site and get interference. Then last week the mic cable went bad.
Interference is down to frequency choice - not the system itself.

Though I suspect that the "interference" may just have been your mic. cable going "bad" before you discovered the problem.
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The most notable difference I found between G2 and G3 is that while with G2 you really need to pay close attention to levels going in the transmitter as it will clip abruptly, the G3 is much more forgiving which can save someone in a run'n'gun situation.

I had a situation in which levels going in the transmitters were accidentally bumped up after setting them up. The G2 was unusable as it clipped quite badly while the G3 saved my ass.

I guess it has a better limiter and compander systems.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:18 PM   #12
Major Player

What series G2 are you using? Some of them are no longer legal in the US which might account for the interference and static. I sold mine last year and bought the G3.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I have to say that I've used many system and some extremely expensive - Sony's borrowed from Anglia TV - and the honest opinion I have is that sonically, so much goes down to the microphones - if the receivers are transparent, which most are - audio wise, we have no issues. I'm also with John on the static/crackles - in almost every case it's been cable problems. Interference is a different thing all together. Some has a characteristic sound. Intermod interference from other equipment close to often has a warbly/rough kind of sound that comes and goes. Strong transmissions from other equipment close to the receivers can produce very weak signals that get hissy and spluttery, and frequently make the dreaded ffffffffffffut noise as the squelch closes.

I've been mixing G1,2 and 3 kit for ages, and (against John's sensible advice) even used Sennheiser transmitters with Trantec receivers - and have had no problems whatsoever.

The Sennheiser kit has proven to be physically the best - the Trantec transmitters suffering from being plastic rather than metal.

Now I'm handing much of my kit in, I suspect that despite being tempted by 2.4G digital kit, I' going to go back to Sennheiser - once I find out how much I'm really getting.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM   #14
New Boot

True, all audio cables eventually die, and they usually have a prolonged, noisy death. But I think it's a wise idea for all Sennheiser wireless users to get in the habit of scanning frequencies every time before you start working. Interference issues can happen any time, any where.

Scanning and changing frequencies every time you work might sound insane, especially if you're used to your Sennheiser's just working. Many people take them out of the box, turn them on, and they work. They never bother to learn about scanning frequencies or adjusting the settings. This may be your experience, but that doesn't mean you're going to live a life free of wireless interference issues. That just means that it hasn't happened to you yet.

Get in the habit of scanning and changing channels. If you don't know how to do it; learn how. Yes, it's a good idea to keep an ear out for dying audio cables. But getting in the habit of scanning will save your butt too.
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Major Player

I would get dropouts and RF hits in certain rooms with my G2. I found a frequency chart and set up to be on unused channels in my area. I am in a tiny town, so I have yet to run into having to change frequencies. Anyway, my new G3 system works even better. And the mic does make a difference. I am an audio snob, and I find the sound quite acceptable on the Sennheisers. The free ME-2 mic ain't so great IMO.

I should learn how to scan frequencies though. I don't even know if you can change freqs while the transmitter is on the talent. Shameful I know... It would be nice if you can fix a problem without stopping the show.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio