senn K6-ME66 to 416: worth upgrading? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 5th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

senn K6-ME66 to 416: worth upgrading?

Hi,
For my dslr gigs, I currently use a couple of systems composed of:
K6-ME66 combo > Rycote> Boom Pole > Sound Devices MM1 > MArantz PMD661

Now, I find the systems give me good results, but the pickup pattern of the mic is not as tight as I'd like. More often than not, I get too much sound coming back from behind the mic in interior shoots.
(I'm not describing that well, am I? Does that even make sense?).

I'm now considering upgrading the mics to a pair of 416s, as they seem to be better in that area, but first I'd like to know if, considering the whole chain, the results will be worth the cost.
Anyone wanna share their experience?

Thanx
Mikael Couderc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: senn K6-ME66 to 416: worth upgrading?

Interference tube shotgun mics are generally not a good choice for interiors. You would be better off getting a good hyper-cardioid. There's been much discussion about this subject, including mic preferences, usage, alternatives, and budget/performance issues. Search this forum and stand by for additional comments.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Major Player

I'd say save your money ang get a Rode NTG-3. It sounds virtually the same as the 416, with a more forgiving pickup pattern. And for interior, a hyper is the right tool. For 430.00 at B&H you can get the totally awesome AT4053b. If you need 2 shotguns (do you really?) you can get 2 NTG-3s and an AT4053b for less than two 416s, and have 10 yr guarantees n the Rode stuff.

Listen:

YouTube - Sennheiser MKH 416 vs. RODE NTG-3
Old March 6th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #4
Major Player

The 416 is certainly much better than the K6/ME66.

Personally, though,I would not get a new one nowadays.

Sennheiser are launching the new MKH 8060 at NAB next month and this would be a much better alternative.

It's the same diameter as the 416; but is shorter and lighter; better off-axis (less side lobes) and, as part of the MKH 8000 series, fits all the accessories.

They have been showing this quietly as various shows over the past 9 months and will launch it properly next month. I know they have had pre-production samples out with broadcasters for testing since late 2009, so they have had plenty of constructive feedback from pro. users before putting the final version into production.

If you have to mount it on a small camera, you can take off the XLR adaptor and put on a modified remote cable - this will effectively shorten the mic. by about 8cm (3") (when you consider there is no XLR sticking out the back).
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hummm, too much choice now!
Thanx for your suggestions.
I have to admit I also considered the Sanken CS3E at one point, but the price here in Europe is a good margin above the allocated budget for the mic. Shame though, as I'm sure it'd have answered all my problems...
Anyway...
The idea of a new 8000 series sennheiser sounds good to me, and I'll wait and see what the reviews say (and the price turns out to be), but just in case, for general usage (70% studio or indoors and 30% outdoor, mostly interviews with mic on a pole), which mic would you pick between the NTG3 and the AT4053b?
Forgot to mention it, but it'd be an added bonus if I all my accessories (21mm from memory) were compatible...
Also forgot to mention I cannot find a place whithin reasonnable distance where they keep these mics in stock (let alone let me A/B them) near my remote little town in Southern France :-)
Thanx
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Major Player

I'd pick both the AT4053b and the Rode NTG-3. Shotguns are for outdoors and hypers are for indoors. You need both types of mics if you want the right tool for both jobs.
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #7
New Boot

I'd get the 4053b. If you're shooting 70% studio and indoor, you've pretty much answered your own question. Keep the ME-66 for outdoor booming. Done.
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Sam Mallery said:
'I'd get the 4053b. If you're shooting 70% studio and indoor, you've pretty much answered your own question.'

True enough! I actually ordered the AT mic...

Still, I'm not giving up on the Sanken CS3E. I'll get that mic! (Just gotta find an excuse to justify the cost...)
In the meantime, I hope the AT mic and I will get along well!

Thanx all for your help.
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Couderc View Post
Still, I'm not giving up on the Sanken CS3E. I'll get that mic! (Just gotta find an excuse to justify the cost...)
The only excuse I needed was to get to use one and compare it to my ME66 (which I'm still hanging onto and using in battle conditions). Once my sound guy used it and we listened to how good the CS-3e did in a variety of settings I was hooked. Then it was the long process of getting one. I did find a very very gently used one and got it at a reduced price.

I use it for Indie productions and Documentary work and for when I do corporate talking head videos. So it pretty quickly got paid off .

-Garrett

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio