Don't make my mistake with Sennheisers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Don't make my mistake with Sennheisers

I finally got tired of running illlegal wireless, so I ordered the new Sennheiser G3 system. I like them better than the old Sennheisers because they are lighter and smaller. The illuminated screen is also easier to read.

But I made the mistake of ordering them with the ME 4 mic. Its a terrible mic. The cable is very stiff and really picks up friction noise from rubbing clothes, or just moving around. Plus, the mic does not sound good to me, it is really big for a lav mic, and comes with a big, ugly, plastic shirt clip.

So I replaced it with the ME 2, which has a much more flexible cable, doesn't pick up shirt noise, is smaller, has a thinner, smaller metal shirt clip and sounds much better better.

So, if you order this system, make sure to get it with the ME 2.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Don't make my mistake with Sennheisers

The ME4 is a cardioid Lav and generally not recommenced for ENG type work.... That said,.. I had the misfortune of using one on an conference gig. (client supplied mics and PA. The ME4's clip is a f__ing joke, it regularly fell off the wearer, til I switched to a Tram I had brought along. I'd rather fight possible feedback than having the mic swinging around the wearer's knees. Polar patterns aside, the ME2 is a better designed mic.
However it ain't great either compared to the higher-end mics like the new Rode, Sanken Tram, Countryman, ect.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

And if you want to go a step up from the Sennheiser ME2, get yourself a DPA 4061 or even a Sanken COS-11. Both of them are huge steps up from the Sennheiser. The Countryman offerings are more of a lateral step- in some ways better, some ways worse. You will have a hard time finding a smaller mic than the Countryman B6... I think the DPA sounds better, but the B6 is amazingly small if that is an issue for you.

--Ben
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I recently started using AKG CK77 with my G3 system and I must say that I'm very pleased, the difference between ME2 and CK77 is astounding.

And CK77 besides being water resistant (not proof) and sounding very open and natural has two diaphragms and one of them is out of phase with the other (balanced audio works on the same principal for rejecting electrical noise) so the mic picks up VERY LITTLE cable/handling noise.

And it's really small

All in all, it's a great mic for a fair price (on par with cos-11)
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Prichard View Post
I finally got tired of running illlegal wireless, so I ordered the new Sennheiser G3 system. I like them better than the old Sennheisers because they are lighter and smaller. The illuminated screen is also easier to read.

But I made the mistake of ordering them with the ME 4 mic. Its a terrible mic. The cable is very stiff and really picks up friction noise from rubbing clothes, or just moving around. Plus, the mic does not sound good to me, it is really big for a lav mic, and comes with a big, ugly, plastic shirt clip.

So I replaced it with the ME 2, which has a much more flexible cable, doesn't pick up shirt noise, is smaller, has a thinner, smaller metal shirt clip and sounds much better better.

So, if you order this system, make sure to get it with the ME 2.
The cable shouldn't make a noise if you put the mic. on properly - unfortunately, lots of people don't know how to to put a tie mic on properly and you certainly get no friction from clothes if you put the mic. on properly.

Although, having said that, cardioid tie mics are horrible things and really have no more feedback rejection than a properly put on omni.

The upgrade is the Sennheiser MKE 2-ew microphone which comes with the more expensive G3 systems.
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Major Player

John, I'd like to invite you to start a new thread with proper Lav wearing 101.

I have trouble with Lavs, especially hidden Lav's and I'm not shy about taking advice.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Major Player

the clip that comes with the MKE2EWgold kit (MZA222) makes the broadcast loop for you, no more cable noise....not to mention it's my favorite lav anyway.

the ME2 would make a nice toy for a cat i think...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #8
Trustee

I'll second the MKE -2 ew gold as an upgrade lav. The difference it makes even to the G2 kit's sound is striking.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Litten View Post
John, I'd like to invite you to start a new thread with proper Lav wearing 101.

I have trouble with Lavs, especially hidden Lav's and I'm not shy about taking advice.

Done - here it is.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio