Basic audio touchups through Vegas/SoundForge - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:57 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Basic audio touchups through Vegas/SoundForge

Exactly - apply the negative distraction filter!!! Can't quite remember what menu it's in though.

Point is that all noise is not created equal. A little soft running water noise is less distracting (at least to me) than keys jangling in a pocket, so if I can cover up the key noise with a little rushing water noise I think I'm winning. Ideal might be no noise of course.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
I've sometimes been able to make things sound better by actually ADDING noise - done judiciously it can mask some low level problems. ...
Very true. In general, one would want to add a smooth rumble, rather than a crackling hiss.

This is similar to discussions on film grain vs. digital video noise. Some noise styles are attractive and some definitely aren't. :)
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
A little soft running water noise is less distracting (at least to me) than keys jangling in a pocket
Jim, with all due respect, from one old codger to another... I always find that the "soft running water noise" makes me cross my legs and squirm.

Correction: I should have said "with all due respect and tongue firmly in cheek."

Happy Trails!
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
This is similar to discussions on film grain vs. digital video noise
I've always thought of grain as high frequency noise. You lessen it by reducing the high frequency response; i.e. by softening the focus. Especially in the blue channel.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gosselin View Post
Well we shot the footage in a convention so the background noise is constant. Take a look at the screenshot attached, it shows a list of all plugins available with my version of Vegas, which is 10a.
If you have SoundForge 10, you have Sony's latest noise reduction. It may have come with earlier versions, but it's definitely in Forge 10.

A couple of things. For one, it will not show up in 64-bit Vegas... it's a 32-bit Plug-in. Secondly, I'm not entirely sure the version bundled with Forge 10 is actually a normal plug-in anymore. It shows up in the "Tools" menu, not the plug-ins menu. I do see Sony's NR in Vegas 9 32-bit (I use Vegas 10, but have not installed the 32-bit version), but I also do own the stand-alone version, so I'm not sure if that's there.

Sony NR is good for regular background noise, like crowd noise, as many have said here. There are better version of this from other companies, but Sony's works ok.

If the noise is simpler and very specific, you can use simpler tools to help out. The first is to figure out just what you're looking for. If you have Forge, you can run a spectrum analysis of the audio, and hopefully find a peak for specific noise sources, like a machine, motor, hum, etc. This can be removed by setting a notch filter at the errant frequency. Try Sony's Parametric or Paragraphic EQ, or something similar (I think I have two dozen EQs as plug-ins, but anything along these lines works).
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Greg

Yes, I think I remember a long time ago some company piped the sound of running water into the office - and people went to the bathroom more frequently.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio