Zoom H4 and mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 5th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Zoom H4 and mic

While you're drooling over Schoeps and Neumann, take a look at the Sanken CS-3e. I think that's where I would go if I really wanted to spend the money. But for now the NTG-2 is good enough for my needs. I thought about an NTG-3, but I don't really have enough use for a shotgun to justify it.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I've also got an AT815b. You're right about it being thin. The off axis sounds can be very colored too as the fall off is far from smooth. Your evaluation of the NTG-3 is spot on with my experience. It's much fuller than the AT815b. You should hear less phasing and a more consistent sound as the mic moves around too. The only real downside is that the off axis stuff can be boomy with the NTG-3. An overall low cut (live or in post) can help. This usually isn't a problem outdoors but can be if near a construction site or around a large mumbling crowd like on a convention floor. As long as you're not near too much off-axis low frequency stuff, the NTG-3 should sound great!
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Well, I get to try the NTG 3 out the next few days running sound for a SWAT team training video. I'm stoked about it! The video will illustrate how a SWAT team deals with a hostage situation at a school. Only thing I'm concerned about is that they will be using flash/bang grenades at one point. Limiter on the mixer WILL be engaged, and I will be riding gain when the time comes. Honestly, I may put up my AT 815b for the grenade sequence, only because I don't want to hurt my brand new NTG 3!
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #19
Regular Crew

And I'm still not sure, but what is the best way to post audio clips here? I'd love to post the comparison between the AT 815b and Rode NTG 3, but I don't know the best way to go about it. Just trying to bring this thread back into focus!
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #20
Trustee

I'd have a low-sensitivity dynamic mic on a separate track for the grenade segment and I don't think I'd expose my brand-new NTG-3 directly to it either. I'd shield it somehow for those few seconds, perhaps under your coat or something similar until the grenades had fired.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio