Typing digital sound fx for lower thirds... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 1st, 2011, 05:05 AM   #1
Trustee

Typing digital sound fx for lower thirds...

Guys was thinking about insert a sound fx during the length of the lower thirds on a video. I was thinking about digital matrix style- fx. Those computer sounds that go with the letters that appear

any idea where can i get it for free to insert on a documentary?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Typing digital sound fx for lower thirds...

Do you mean the sound of someone keying in the text while you have a lower thirds title running ?

If that's what you're after why not just record it yourself ?
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Trustee

If you are talking about DTMF tones (like a push-button phone makes) there is a neat generator in the freeware Audacity program...type in the characters and it generates a tone pattern for you, which you can then save and import into your nle....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think the OP was referring to the futuristic sounds that are heard when text appears on a computer screen in common SciFi films. It tends to be high-pitched beeps, preceded by a multi-tone sound effect. Some white noise too.

In fact, this sound tends to appear in typical contemporary films whenever computer responds to user input. Obviously, no common computer makes noise when it returns a Google query, or some proprietary-type search command, but this is never convincing or dramatic enough for a movie, so sound effect is used to enhance the effect. In almost EVERY case, this sound effect does NOT exist on any contemporary computer.
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If it's the beeps that accompany type moving across the screen (as in 24 or Hunt For Red October) perhaps something like this:

Type Effect Beeps 03 Sound Clip and Quote

or

Sci Fi Type Beep Cursor Digital Electronic Type Screen Monitor Loop Typing Science Fiction Sound Clip and Quote

Google "computer screen type beep sfx" and you'll get about a million hits. If it's just keyboard sounds you are after, they can be found at the same website. This was the first hit and it came up in less than a second. From browsing around the site it appears they have virtually everything you could ever need.

Edit: In the magical circular world of the interweb, when I hit refresh on the search page as I was editing this note, this post showed up on the first page of Google results. A little freaky...
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #6
Trustee

Exactly what i was looking.....
I'm responding now from my phone! But cani use these sounds on a doc? Are them royalty free and shuold i pay to download em?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Inner Circle

All the details are on the website. Yes, you have to pay for them, but they're less than a Euro each, and yes they are royalty free.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio