Valuation of Nagra SN kit wanted. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 8th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Valuation of Nagra SN kit wanted.

I have someone interested in buying my Nagra SN kit but we are yet to agree to a price. Although everything still works most of its value will be as a collector’s item. My interest was in using it for recording animal calls in the wild. As supplied they were not suited to that task and even with the SMR preamplifier they still lacked sensitivity.

To counter this problem I made some modifications to the hand-held pre-amplifier (SMR) by adding an extra stage of pre-amplification. To do this I had to enlarge the rear section of the SMR to house the extra amplifier and a 9 volt battery to power it. I also added a pistol grip, an XLR connection for the microphone (MKH 815T), and a connection for a headphone. This necessitated some extra plugs at the recorder end. No doubt these modifications would upset the purist collector but they made for a very useable and sensitive system.

Items available: -
Nagra SN
Senheiser MKH 815T
2 off Nagrastatic Microphones.
Nagra LPS Pilot tone transfer unit.
Nagra SGX pilot tone crystal.
Timber presentation case.
Leather case for two Nagra SN’s
Leather case for one SN.
SMR preamplifier (at the moment I cannot find the original back).
AKG microphone module for SMR.
Assorted cables and a quantity of tapes.

If anyone follows the prices of this sort of gear I would appreciate their comments.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/a...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Valuation of Nagra SN kit wanted.-_dsc4352.jpg   Valuation of Nagra SN kit wanted.-_dsc4353.jpg  

Valuation of Nagra SN kit wanted.-_dsc4355.jpg   Valuation of Nagra SN kit wanted.-_dsc4360.jpg  

Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Valuation of Nagra SN kit wanted.

Alistair, the quantity of tapes you have might dictate the price as I don't think it's still being produced.
Ampex ran special tape runs for the SN and all the law enforcement agencies lapped it up but that was quite a while ago. Maybe some local agencies might still use it.

Good ol'e Kudelski, the mic preamps in the stereo 4S were about the best I've heard, still got mine.

What serial is yours?

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio