MixPre to Edirol RO9 (not HR version) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #1
New Boot

MixPre to Edirol RO9 (not HR version)

I have been wrestling with the Juicedlink and Beachtek options for sound with a 7D to bypass agc.

However thinking longer term the extra $$ for the SD MixPre might be a wiser option, given the higher quality, although of course I would still have the agc to deal with.

If Magic Lantern appears for the 7D I can avoid the agc, but until then I am happy to do double sound and go mic > mixpre > Edirol. (I have access to a free Edirol RO9.)

Question is - as I am a complete ignoramus regarding sound but learning quickly - is the Edirol a quality enough device to use as a 'bit bucket' with the mixpre, or would it defeat the quality advantage of the mixpre in some way I am unaware of?

I have seen a few reviews of nature recordists using MixPre > RO9 and they seem pretty pleased with it.

The Edirol does 24-bit/48kHz recordin so I presume thats ok.
John MacPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: MixPre to Edirol RO9 (not HR version)

Do you own the R-09?

It should be OK. But if you don't already own it, I suggest the Sony PCM-10. Sony makes such quality recorders (I have the D-50 and love it with my MixPre) and it's only around 200.00. But is you already have the R-0, just try it out when you get your MixPre-D.
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Chad. I was looking to get a PCM-M10, but then got the chance of a free Edirol, so decided that the cash saved from the M10, combined with the cost of a juicedlink would be putting me nearly into the mixpre territory. Might be worth it for the mixpre's stellar performance and long-term use potential.
John MacPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Well hey, if the recorder is free go for that. You can always upgrade later. Keep in mind that the MixPre only has Line level out, however the new MixPre-D (an amazing new product from SD) has both mic & line level out. So you need to check if the R-09 takes line level input if you are going for the original MixPre. You could however get a pad cable to step down from line level to mic level. If you're buying new though, just get the "D" model MixPre and be done with it. It looks to be really sweet, and those limiters make you virtually unclipable as long as you have calibrated your recording device.
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #5
New Boot

Thank you Chad - good advice.
John MacPherson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio