simulating FM radio DJ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

simulating FM radio DJ

How do you do it? Would you even use a filter? Is it something you merely suggest with the camera? FM is so clear -- and yet not quite life like, or is it?, is there something you should process it with in Vegas?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: simulating FM radio DJ

FM stereo stations in the US are sharply bandpassed at 50Hz and 15kHz, because of the 19kHz pilot tone and the PLL servo loops on the carrier frequency..

Aside from that, they're all over the place. Pop format stations might use an RE20, a lot of mic EQ and compression; classical stations might use a condensor mic, little or no processing. And everywhere in between.

Because of the 75uSec pre-emphasis curve, most FM stations tend to have some very specialized processing, to avoid overmodulation when the audio has a lot of high frequency content. However, this might be working very lightly or very heavily, depending on how the EQ and overall levels are set.

And now some stations are using digital STLs with bitrates that I consider inadequate (perhaps as low as 96kbps) so you have the additional distortions from the codecs.

Basically you need some educated guesswork depending on which station you want to mimic.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Phase-locked loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just in case some were wondering...
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Also never forget that the people who typically end up on the radio - have fully developed RADIO VOICES.

That starts with being singled out from the mass of humanity for some natural vocal abilities and then the industry rapidly filters out those who can't manage stuff like the enunciation and diction required.

Then out of THAT group, the industry skims the best of the crop who have BOTH the sound and the chops.

That's part of what you're trying to re-create.

Seriously, the easiest way to get a "radio announcer" sound - is simply to to hire someone who has a "radio announcer" voice to begin with.

If they do, a recording with an SM-57 will sound worlds better than a Neumann recording someone with an ordinary voice.

Just saying.
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #5
Trustee

To get an authentic FM radio sound limit the frequency bandwidth to suit the type of radio in shot, compress it to oblivion and then add some small room ambience to simulate the speaker in the room.

That is how I used to do it now I have pro tools and TL Space so I have a small/med/large radio pre-set that does it straight away.
Old April 19th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

All main stream stations use specific processors like the Eventide Opimod to get their 'signature' sound. (usually to be louder and get more usable distance than the competition) These processors have a number of stages: EQ, single and multi-band compressors, multi-band exciters, peak limiter volume maximizes and even sophisticated auto levelers. Of coarse as was already stated, without a good voice, it ain't gonna help much.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

Brian,

Do you have a script for what you want the FM announcer to say?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Wow guys, my head is spinning. Okay, so there IS a sound specific to FM. So, I have the script, the actor with the voice, I also have an Oktava 012 from Soundroom, Senn k6/me66 and Rode NT3 and Sony Vegas and limited edition of Soundforge. What I want is THE most cliche FM rock station processing.

Can I make it work?
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #9

An extra set of testicles on the talent helps. Over here the really good VO guys are referred to as "four balls" out of respect.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:51 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
An extra set of testicles on the talent helps. Over here the really good VO guys are referred to as "four balls" out of respect.

Andrew
Okay, just ordered a set from B&H. Can any of the processing be done in Vegas 10?
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:36 PM   #11

For Vegas you'll need to use them as a plug-in.

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew Smith; April 22nd, 2011 at 12:24 AM.
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio