Which shotgun mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 28th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Which shotgun mic?

I have been asked by a colleague working in the broadcast/ sub-broadcast Doco/ commercial and DSLR areas of what short shotgun mic to purchase.
His budget would allow for a Sennheiser MKH416, MKH60, ME66/K6 or Rode NTG1,NTG2& NTG3, Or even other brands.
He's thinking Sennheiser for name alone as it seems that's what his clients specify.
I have lent him a 416 for a shoot and he came back staggered at the improvement over the ME66/K6 he has previously used.
He has phantom power available most times.
Also what windshield? a full blimp or just a softy, he would be shooting outdoors at times but NOT in adverse conditions.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Which shotgun mic?

My first choice now would be the new Sennheiser MKH 8060.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...oductImage.jpg

Same diameter, same directivity, but shorter than the MKH 416.

Better quality than both the 416 and the 60 and with an improved off-axis response. Plus, all the potions of the MKH 8000 series including an AES42 digital module.

Otherwise - the Schoeps SuperCMIT.

Full Rycote windshield kit or an S-series would be better than a softie - in fact the Rycote MiniScreen with it's Windjammer is better and cheaper than a Softie ;-)
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If price isn't an issue, the Sanken CS3e is worth consideration...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...magic-mic.html
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Trustee

I would also recommend the Sanken CS-3e. Great mic. There are a couple of good comparisons on the board as well as a really good comparison between several shotguns but it is a little old.

Sorry I can't find the link right now but I've read through it several times.

-Garrett
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello John:

Have you been able to get a hold of an 8060? Impatiently waiting to hear some recordings! :)

Any word on if it handles interiors better than the MKH60 (ala CMIT)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
My first choice now would be the new Sennheiser MKH 8060.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...oductImage.jpg

Same diameter, same directivity, but shorter than the MKH 416.

Better quality than both the 416 and the 60 and with an improved off-axis response. Plus, all the potions of the MKH 8000 series including an AES42 digital module.

Otherwise - the Schoeps SuperCMIT.

Full Rycote windshield kit or an S-series would be better than a softie - in fact the Rycote MiniScreen with it's Windjammer is better and cheaper than a Softie ;-)
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

This article is useful, along with its sound samples:

As I Hear It - Choosing the Right Microphone

It covers some of the microphones discussed here in a consistent set of tests.
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Trustee

David, thanks. That's the article I was referring to.

-Garrett
Old April 30th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ostroff View Post
Hello John:

Have you been able to get a hold of an 8060? Impatiently waiting to hear some recordings! :)

Any word on if it handles interiors better than the MKH60 (ala CMIT)?
Yes, I have handled it several times.

But I have not used it for recording as I don't need another gun mic.

It should handle interiors better as the off-axis response has been improved according to Sennheiser.

But I do have both the 8020 and 8040 and am extremely happy with them.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:03 AM   #9
Major Player

John,
There is a new Sennheiser MKH 8070 microphone available for preorder from B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/762307-REG/Sennheiser_MKH_8070_MKH_8070_Long.html Any idea how it is? And what is the difference from the MKH 70?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:09 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
John,
There is a new Sennheiser MKH 8070 microphone available for preorder from B&H. Sennheiser MKH 8070 - Long Shotgun Microphone MKH 8070 B&H Photo Any idea how it is? And what is the difference from the MKH 70?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
From seeing it in the flesh, I would say that the polar-pattern is more like the old MKH 816.

It seems to have a longer interference tube than the 70, which would make it more directional.

But I think that Sennheiser have improved the off-axis response very much in these new microphones and reducing the comb-filter effect a lot.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks John. That's what Sennheiser's press release said, hoping the improved off-axis response is indeed true. I do like the sound of the 8050/8040, handling issues aside.

Looking forward to putting an ear on the 8060.

Quote:
Yes, I have handled it several times.

But I have not used it for recording as I don't need another gun mic.

It should handle interiors better as the off-axis response has been improved according to Sennheiser.

But I do have both the 8020 and 8040 and am extremely happy with them.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
I do like the sound of the 8050/8040, handling issues aside.
Handling issues are easily sorted.

1) Use a Rycote "Lyre" suspension (InVision, S-series or full windshield kit)

2) de-couple the mic. from the normal cable by using a Rycote S-series XLR tail or ConnBox.

I mount all my mics this way now.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM   #13
Regular Crew

John:

Thanks for the feedback.

I was able to use a friend's 8050 on a short film in conjunction with my MKH50. The 8050 sounded great but required a much lighter touch on the boom (Rycote Lyre mounted and modified ConnBox w/ smaller gauge cable). With a light touch and LF rolled off on the SD442, that rig seems to work in less dynamic situations...the bigger issue is the flutter/whoosh when swinging the mic around. The 8050 was rigged with a Schoeps BD5 hollow drop and still had issues from time to time. I assume a step up from there is the Rycote windscreen rig that you mentioned but that's increasing the size and weight of these conveniently small/light mics.

My primary mic is the MKH50 w/ BBG & Rycote Lyre combo which handles much better, no flutter/whoosh. I personally would be reluctant to depend on the 8050 for dynamic boom work as a result of this. He also has an 8040 and reports similar difficulties.

Quote:
Handling issues are easily sorted.

1) Use a Rycote "Lyre" suspension (InVision, S-series or full windshield kit)

2) de-couple the mic. from the normal cable by using a Rycote S-series XLR tail or ConnBox.

I mount all my mics this way now.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:46 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
John:

Thanks for the feedback.

I was able to use a friend's 8050 on a short film in conjunction with my MKH50. The 8050 sounded great but required a much lighter touch on the boom (Rycote Lyre mounted and modified ConnBox w/ smaller gauge cable). With a light touch and LF rolled off on the SD442, that rig seems to work in less dynamic situations...the bigger issue is the flutter/whoosh when swinging the mic around. The 8050 was rigged with a Schoeps BD5 hollow drop and still had issues from time to time. I assume a step up from there is the Rycote windscreen rig that you mentioned but that's increasing the size and weight of these conveniently small/light mics.

My primary mic is the MKH50 w/ BBG & Rycote Lyre combo which handles much better, no flutter/whoosh. I personally would be reluctant to depend on the 8050 for dynamic boom work as a result of this. He also has an 8040 and reports similar difficulties.
By Schoeps BD5, do you mean B5D?

If so, this is just a foam windshield.

The MKH 800o series all come complete with special foam windscreens that are made from two different foam layers. To keep things small and light you could put a Rycote Special Windjammer ofer the standard foam windshields.

The MKH 8040 and 8050 have a better bottom end response than the MKH 40 and 50 so this is the likely cause of the flutter. Have you tried the MZF 8000 filter module?

I hope this helps.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Yes - sorry - the B5D. It's a bit more than a foam windscreen with the internal plastic structure, gives some more air than a traditional foam windscreen does. Works decent actually (I believe initially suggested by Glen Trew), still keeps it small at the end of the pole.

I'll have to suggest the windjammer, see if that works. I was able to make it work but definitely not a rig I'd be entirely confident on anything but predictable scripted and sit-down interview work. The mic's owner has done a bunch of research, reached out to folks, and hasn't found any magic bullet yet, even thinking about selling them off.

I haven't tried the MZF 8000 filter module, a bit expensive and the low cut specs don't seem to play like the MKH50...

-3dB @ 160Hz (Switchable)
-3dB @ 16Hz (Fixed)

If they came out with one similar to the built in low cut on the MKH50, I'd go for that I think, manual say it is 4db at 50Hz I believe.

Thanks for the feedback, they are great mics, worth tinkering to make them more user friendly.

Quote:
By Schoeps BD5, do you mean B5D?

If so, this is just a foam windshield.

The MKH 800o series all come complete with special foam windscreens that are made from two different foam layers. To keep things small and light you could put a Rycote Special Windjammer ofer the standard foam windshields.

The MKH 8040 and 8050 have a better bottom end response than the MKH 40 and 50 so this is the likely cause of the flutter. Have you tried the MZF 8000 filter module?

I hope this helps.
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio