Sanken COS-11D on the Sennheiser G2/G3 systems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 13th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Sanken COS-11D on the Sennheiser G2/G3 systems

I see there are a few people who use the Sanken COS-11D with the Sennheiser wireless systems. I have a G2 system and now have upgrading the mic on the top of my pile of acquisitions.

Like to know if I have to be concerned about an inline power supply for Sanken or if it "just works" with the G2. I plan on picking up a COS-11D with the screw on mini plug designed for the Senn G2/G3.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #2
DVCreators.Net

Re: Sanken COS-11D on the Sennheiser G2/G3 systems

Good choice in lavs. As long as the Sanken is wired correctly with the Sennheiser locking 3.5mm, it will work with G2 and G3. At our store, we buy the COS-11D's in bulk with "pig tails" then batch wire them for use with the Sennheiser transmitters. It's one of the best upgrades you can make in getting better sound over the stock Sennheiser ME2 lavalier. On a pair of studio monitors or good headphones, the difference in sound is striking. Heck, if it's good enough to put on Will Smith in "Men in Black", it's good enough for me :)

I also recommend picking up the Sennheiser MZA-900. This allows you to hardwire the Sanken COS-11D via XLR. It's nice to have the option of using your "good mic" via a cable when then need arrises. That little Sennheiser adapter seems pricey at $129, but boy does it come in handy. It's become such a popular package that we now have a bundle in our store with these together.

You might also want LMC's vclip. Another cool little product worth knowing about for use with the COS-11. It's a little vampire clip for specifically made for the COS-11D. Check it out in this video
Vampire Clip for Sanken COS 11 | LMC SOUND
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Guy, thank you very much for this info. I see your pricing is competitive with all the popular outfits including the "Gorilla in the room" etailer. People should know this.

The inline amplifer is quite reasonable given it's utility and what these things generally cost. I have the Senn K6 with the ME64 capsule so I know this is a VERY reasonable solution.

I am familiar with the Sanken sound. Truly remarkable microphone. I will be in touch in the next couple of weeks.

Hoping you keep inventory on hand of the Sanken with the Senn mod.
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Chad! I saw/heard this when you first did it but good to have it in the thread for people who trip on it in the future.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:51 PM   #6
Trustee

I just did the upgrade and couldn't be happier with the Sanken. I replaced my other mic with a Voice Technologies VT500 and it rocks too, just different. Nice to have choices!
Old July 29th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Chad, am ready to pick up the 11D but I see that the connector seems to be a LEMO 3pin. My old G2 is on a 1/8" screw thread. What do i need to get?

Thanks
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Major Player

You just order the COS11D with the connector you need. Talk to a rep from wherever you are purchasing it from. This is why I like the Rode Lav, and use it more now. It's got the Micon connectors you can get for everything, rather than have to commit to one connection.
Old July 29th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Chad,

I have a Sanken COS-11D mic and I am looking for a way to hardwire it to the camera using XLR cable. My mic fits the Shure wireless system (SLX series). Do you know if there is a way to do it for the system I am using?
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Cathy,

You need to cut the wire and soldier on the connector you want. I haven't done that, and I don't know how, but it's pretty straight forward.
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
Hi Cathy,

You need to cut the wire and soldier on the connector you want. I haven't done that, and I don't know how, but it's pretty straight forward.
OK, but that will permanently modify the mic, I was hoping that I could have it working for both wireless and wired. I guess I would just have to buy a new Sanken with XLR connection.
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Major Player

Kathy,

That's the nature of the COS11D. It's hard wired for one use. Not optimal in today's versatile environment. That's why I said "This is why I like the Rode Lav, and use it more now. It's got the Micon connectors you can get for everything, rather than have to commit to one connection."

The Rode lavs have multiple connectors so you can change the connector by screwing it on. The Sanken is a great mic, but a one trick pony. There may be a way to wire up something to switch connectors, but I don't know of any.
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
Kathy,

That's the nature of the COS11D. It's hard wired for one use. Not optimal in today's versatile environment. That's why I said "This is why I like the Rode Lav, and use it more now. It's got the Micon connectors you can get for everything, rather than have to commit to one connection."

The Rode lavs have multiple connectors so you can change the connector by screwing it on. The Sanken is a great mic, but a one trick pony. There may be a way to wire up something to switch connectors, but I don't know of any.
Thanks Chad
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I made my COS-11D flexible by adding a 3A-TF and 3A-TM connector between the mic and the XLR power supply.

Switchcraft : TA Series Female Cable Mount Connectors
Switchcraft : TA Series Male Cable Mount Connectors

Here's the Sanken wiring. Just insert the connector pair in the 3-wire area between the dotted line boxes of the first diagram. That allows adapters to be made for any transmitter's connector or the XLR supply.
SANKEN MICROPHONE CO .,LTD. | Q & A [ Basic of Wiring Method ]

BTW, I bought a cheap, XLR adapter and tried it with no success. I tried hacking in some diode and resistor solutions, but it was a fail. Go for the Sanken XLR power supply. It's required to do it right. (And it's cheaper if you buy the version of the mic with the power supply included. You can then cut the wires and insert the TA-3 for flexible use.)

With power supply:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650292-REG/Sanken_COS_11D_BK_COS_11D_Miniature_Omnidirectional_Lavalier.html
Power supply alone:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554091-REG/Sanken_P_11PT_P_11x_PT_Phantom_Power_Supply.html
Pigtail version of the mic:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/595313-REG/Sanken_COS_11D_PT_BK_COS_11D_Omnidirectional_Lavalier_Microphone.html

In the US, contact plus24 if you have detailed questions...
plus24 Contact Information

Overall, the setup is a bit clunky, though mine has never failed.I should tape the TA-3M connector to the large XLR adapter. I would still have the hefty power supply to be hooked to a belt, but it would eliminate the TA-3 connectors flopping around from the wire. They aren't all that large or heavy, but it's not quite as clean as a simple wire connection. Still, I can make a new adapter for whatever transmitter might come my way, so it's a win.
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Major Player

I had trewaudio do the same split for me when i bought my cos-11d set. My intention was to be able to switch between the sennheiser and hard wired, but it also meant on a reality show I was able to use the ta3 connector directly into a lectrosonics transmitter so it meant the best of all worlds, really.

you end up with a 1/8" "sennheiser" connector to a male ta3, the xlr power supply to a male ta3 then a ta3 female to the mic itself. I don't remember how much trew charged, but it wasn't much and the versatility has proved to be waaay worth it.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio