Customizing own portable mixer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Customizing own portable mixer

I OWN A ROLL 4 channel mixer, nothing fancy, bit noisy, dynamically not excellent, i used it for some low budget production, for audio guide track and few other things, with my fostex pd6 i am able to route my audio easely and have a better quality, now a need a good mixer, so i found a 442 used, in excellent condition, but was thinking another choice, a friend of mine , electronic engineer with a great expericne of hi end pre amp design, suggest me to replace 2 of 4 channels of my rolls with an top quality circuitry. so at least i could have 2 hi quality channels on my rolls, to be routed on main output clean with a good dinamic and great signal noice ratio, I hope make sense what i said.

any opinion ?
David Aliperti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Customizing own portable mixer

If you only need two good channels why don't you just go straight into your recorder via some decent mic amps and take the mixer out of the signal flow. It may not be worth modifying it and looking at other solutions to the noise problem. Also are you sure it is the mixer that is noisy and not the headphone amplifier in the mixer or recorder?

I use these Behringer mixers and they are low noise and fantastic value for money, OK not a trad ENG mixer but really useful on location, I normally feed mixed audio to tracks 1+2 and camera mic to 3+4 as my HPX371 camera has a very good audio matrix.

Behringer XENYX 1002B | DV247
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Customizing own portable mixer

In eng works when i dont need a back up but just but have to feed camera I prefer work with a mixer, or a dual preamp
David Aliperti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio