Do people here feel good about buying used mics? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 21st, 2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Do people here feel good about buying used mics?

When it comes to gear, I usually buy new electronics and used for something mechanical like a tripod. I’m looking for a shotgun, and dont mind paying more for a gun I can use for many, many years. I’m thinking of the NTG-3 or the MKH-416.

I found a used MKH-416 on B&H and am considering it. That said, I am a bit wigged out over buying used electronics for the long haul. Thoughts?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Do people here feel good about buying used mics?

B&H has a pretty reputable used equipment department. They have knowledgeable people who test the equipment and rate it on their website. I would trust them. Additionally, they are pretty good about returns.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have mixed feelings about used mics. Let's compare them with lenses as both mics and lenses can hold their value for well over a decade.

With a lens, you can look at pictures, inspect it, feel the focus/zoom operation, listen to the autofocus motor and get a feel for what it's been through. With a mic, you don't really know the condition of the diaphragm. Was it used regularly in high humidity? Is it clean or under a film of crud?

With lenses, I'm cool with buying used, trading, selling, and so on. One could start with zooms, sell them and get primes, decide you preferred zooms and go back and only be out the cost of shipping.

I don't have the same feeling about a mic. I'd rather choose carefully, buy new, and keep it forever. I like caring for mics well and knowing where they've been. Mics just aren't as fungible as lenses to me.

That's not to say that I'd never buy used. But I'd rather buy from a hobbyist in Arizona than from a production company in Florida. The former would have seen little humidity and little use. The latter might have been put through the ringer.

I hear that you can send some high end mics back to the manufacturer for cleaning, inspection, and testing, but the cost might negate the advantage of buying used.

Anyway, if the price is good, and you have a good feeling about the mic's history, go for it. Look for original packaging in good condition as a clue to its treatment. Be willing to wait for the right mic.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:30 AM   #4
Trustee

With high end mic's such as the 816 you can get them serviced and if it is being sold by B&H you should be getting something decent.

They do go off after a while but some people actually like that as it gives a smoother sound, old valve mic's have a totally different character to the new ones and its all down to personal choice.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:50 AM   #5
Major Player

I bought my first 416T, from a mixer in England who used it as a backup, for $425 ten years ago and I use it as a main Mic. I've bought all my schoeps used, my mixers, my beyers mc930s, on and on... in fact almost all my audio gear was bought used and I haven't been stung once.

Pm any questions

Best,

John
John Hartney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio