Is the Rode warranty transferable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 25th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is the Rode warranty transferable?

Is the warranty transferable on an NTG-3? The Rode website makes it seem like the answer is yes, but I just called up and they said the 10 year warranty is only good for the original owner. Anyone have experience with this?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Is the Rode warranty transferable?

What does the actual warranty paperwork say? That's the only thing that counts, not what someone says it says
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
What does the actual warranty paperwork say? That's the only thing that counts, not what someone says it says
Agreed - if they say it's not transferable, ask them to show you on the warranty document where it specifically states it's not transferable.

Are you buying or selling?

Whichever way, I would make sure a copy of the original receipt (proof of purchase) goes/comes with the mic.
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi Noam,

Congratulations on the NTG-3 (assuming that you are the new owner).

It's important to make the distinction between the compulsory warranty on the product (in RŘDE's case at least one year), and the free extended warranty that we offer upon registration of the product (this is 5 years, 10 years, or lifetime).

I'm not 100% sure on whether the standard one year warranties are transferable, but this is largely irrelevant as we have recently changed our policy to allow transfer of the free extended warranties. Please note that this is only on the balance of the extended warranty, which is dated from the original retail purchase.

You can complete a warranty transfer application for your NTG-3 here after you login or create an account - RODE Microphones - Register For Warranty

As John suggests it is best practice (and a requirement of the T&Cs of our free extended warranty) to keep the proof of purchase, even if this is a second hand sale. Also if there is a possibility of transfering the original retail receipt with the mic, even better.

For reference the current terms & conditions for all RŘDE warranties is available here - RODE Microphones - Terms & Conditions

Congratulations again on the mic and please don't hesitate to contact me directly should you require any further assistance.
Scott Emerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Emerton View Post
Hi Noam,

Congratulations on the NTG-3 (assuming that you are the new owner).

It's important to make the distinction between the compulsory warranty on the product (in RŘDE's case at least one year), and the free extended warranty that we offer upon registration of the product (this is 5 years, 10 years, or lifetime).

I'm not 100% sure on whether the standard one year warranties are transferable, but this is largely irrelevant as we have recently changed our policy to allow transfer of the free extended warranties. Please note that this is only on the balance of the extended warranty, which is dated from the original retail purchase.

You can complete a warranty transfer application for your NTG-3 here after you login or create an account - RODE Microphones - Register For Warranty

As John suggests it is best practice (and a requirement of the T&Cs of our free extended warranty) to keep the proof of purchase, even if this is a second hand sale. Also if there is a possibility of transfering the original retail receipt with the mic, even better.

For reference the current terms & conditions for all RŘDE warranties is available here - RODE Microphones - Terms & Conditions

Congratulations again on the mic and please don't hesitate to contact me directly should you require any further assistance.
From the horse's mouth.
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Off topic, perhaps, but have you noticed that some of the audio companies do follow the forums, and jump in if they can help. Others, some very well known, never seem to have a customer voice. Sennheiser, Rode and Line-6 all come to mind for being willing to give out facts publicly - which is actually a good reason to want to deal with them.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I agree. Some months ago I suggested to the MD of a very well known audio company (not on that list but well known for excellent products and service - I won't name them) that they were missing a trick/could be more vocal on forums like this. In the modern age it's what many would expect them to do anyway and an excellent way for them to interact with customers (existing and potential new ones too!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio