Buying microphones in pairs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 1st, 2011, 07:10 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Buying microphones in pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morrow View Post
Here's why I originally posted about this.

I'm thinking of getting a second G3 wireless setup, and I'm deciding whether to go with the cardioid lav version for variety, or the omni lav version for consistency and redundancy. It's actually somewhat of an academic question as I will probably use Rode lav microphone(s) instead of the Sennheiser lav mics that come with the G3.

I'm thinking the cardioid mic might come in handy in odd cases, but if I end up miking say two people doing an interview and for some reason only have the Senn lav mics, I might want them to all the be the same for consistency.

I'm leaning towards getting the cardioid for variety even though I may never use it.
You may find that there is a irritating change in the timbre of the speech as the subject moves their head, taking them slightly off mic and back on again, with a cardioid lav.
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM   #17
Major Player

My understanding of conventional wisdom is that omni lavs are generally best in controlled environments, but that there are odd cases where a cardioid lav can be useful, like in a noisy environment, say a trade show interview where for some reason a handheld mic is not appropriate. Other possible uses would be using the wireless lav as a plant mic to record specific environmental noises or walla, or micing instruments, Or I might use it when I place a wireless lav at a lectern that already has a PA mic.

But for me the question is now moot, as I just ordered another G3 with omn lav, because that happened to be what was in the best deal I could find.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM   #18
Lectrosonics

Quote:
My understanding of conventional wisdom is that omni lavs are generally best in controlled environments, but that there are odd cases where a cardioid lav can be useful, like in a noisy environment, say a trade show interview where for some reason a handheld mic is not appropriate. Other possible uses would be using the wireless lav as a plant mic to record specific environmental noises or walla, or micing instruments, Or I might use it when I place a wireless lav at a lectern that already has a PA mic.
The trouble with cardioid lav mics is that placement becomes more critical than with omnis, and wind/handling noise is increased with a directional microphone. Proximity effect is one reason placement is so tough - cardioid lavs have rolled off bass and are designed to be used a certain distance from the source.

I've found that an omni lav almost always works better than a directional lav - with very few exceptions.
Karl Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:07 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:

But for me the question is now moot, as I just ordered another G3 with omn lav, because that happened to be what was in the best deal I could find.
Here's an interesting piece recorded by Thom Shafer for ABC, noisy factory, using Senn MKE 104 cardioid lavaliers. Excellent work and I assume the reason it would be nice to have some of these on hand.

Made In America

I'll be interested to see how the new Countryman hypercardioid B2D lav will perform (B2D Directional Lavalier - Countryman Associates, Inc.).

Here's a sample in a noisy environment:
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:23 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:

It is very very rare where a directional lav. is better than an omni one.

You get more drop-out with a directional due to head movement and the back of the mic. is normally pointing towards the body where it does not do much good at all.

An omni, with no proximity effect, can be moved closer without problems - and an omni 10cm gfrom the mouth has the same characteristics as a cardioid at 17cm when it comes to feedback rejection.

No contest - omni wins all the time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio