Is it a bad idea to always leave my WS7 windscreen on the whole time I'm outside? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 10th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is it a bad idea to always leave my WS7 windscreen on the whole time I'm outside?

I just got the WS7 for my Rode NTG-3. Does it make sense to just always leave it on when I'm outside so if a totally out of the blue gust of wind comes, I'll be ready? Does it dampen the sound when there is no wind?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Is it a bad idea to always leave my WS7 windscreen on the whole time I'm outside?

I just leave mine on all the time even when using the mic indoors.
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Is it a bad idea to always leave my WS7 windscreen on the whole time I'm outside?

I wonder if the same is true for deadcats? I leave both on, although I've always had it that way and never thought about why...
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Trustee

We used to take the blimp and deadcats off in the old days when the softies were not available so that the mic was smaller but we always had a foam windshield on too even if it was in the blimp.

These days the softies take little away so it is better to just leave them on to protect the mic or keep the response the same from inside and outside.
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I switch between the foam windscreen and WS7 on my NTG-3. Its no big deal to change out the windscreen when switching from exterior to interior. If there's any difference in mic pickup due to the change, I can't hear it because interiors sound different than exteriors anyway.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Time is money and even without talent involved it's a pain to stop shooting outdoors just to install your WS7.

And worse if the money shot gets full of unexpected breeze.

Someone just told me you can measure how much of a stubborn sob you are, by the number of times you go out .. without the WS7 installed .. and get caught :)

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; August 10th, 2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Someone just added a comment.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio