audio question for zoom h1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

audio question for zoom h1

So when I hook up the zoom h1 to the DJ's sound board using a RCA to 8mm connector. Typically I have to turn the dedicated feed all the way down and the levels on my zoom H1 are turned all the way down to about 12/100, and levels will max out at -6db.

Sometimes I get a really clean good audio, 99% of speeches turn out great, but I'm getting some base distortion with music.. Even when the zoom is maxing out at -5 db.

Is there anything else I can do?

Do any of you working with the zoom ever have to turn your levels all the way down to 5/100?
Jeff Dinges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: audio question for zoom h1

Add an attenuator cable in between the board and the Zoom to decrease the signal reaching the Zoom. Search B&H for attenuator cable and you'll find two lengths e.g.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/746645-REG/Sescom_LN2MIC_ZOOMH4N_LN2MIC_ZOOMH4N_Line_to.html
You'll need the appropriate joiner as well as both ends are male.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Jeff,

I don't know the particulars of setting it on the Zoom H1, but it sounds like you are feeding it line level signal and the recorder is set to accept mic level. Look for those settings in your manual.

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You are most likely over-driving the input stage of the recorder. Changing the record level would be futile in this case. 'If' the H1 has a 'Line in' (like the H2) , use that, otherwise you will need to attenuate the signal as was previously stated.
Rick Reineke is online now   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio