Wired XLR Lav/tie Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wired XLR Lav/tie Mic

Hello

I've done a search and couldn't find any advice on this, which suprises me...I thought it would be a common question. Or maybe Im blind!

I am looking to purchase a wired lav microphone for location interviews and need it to have a standard XLR connector. Ive been browsing around and Im a bit confused about all of the different options, so any recommendations would be appreciated! My camera has phantom power if required. No fixed budget, but dont want to spend more money than necessary to get a good result.

Any help appreciated! Thanks

Matthew
Matthew Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wired XLR Lav/tie Mic

Lav mics wired to a combination XLR connector and phantom power supply adapter are commonplace, don't know why your searcch isn't turning up any. Many brands offer them hardwired or you can get one that's wired for your wireless and use a separate power supply / adapter to connect it directly to your camera or mixer. Note that you do need a power supply adapter combo ... most lavs operate on 2 to 5 volts power and you need the supply to drop the 48volt phantom down to an acceptable level, a simple cable adapter won't do it. If you already have a lav for a wireless, Ambient makes a power supply that they call the "Eumel" that will allow it to be used hardwired.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Trustee

Rode makes a lav the size of a match-head, and an earset mic, not that different than several other manufacturers. They also have a "pin mic" which I have not tried yet. The Rode models have interchangeable (and field-replaceable) cables, and interchangeable connectors for most wireless transmitters, as well as an ordinary XLR connector for wired use. I like mine a lot.

RDE Microphones - Lavalier
RDE Microphones - HS1-B
RDE Microphones - PinMic
RDE Microphones - MiCon-5 <-- XLR connector
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Trustee

Pro industry standard is the sony ECM77B or even the ECM50 or 40.

These ones on e-bay look interesting and good value but would need to hear one to judge their quality:PRO CANNON XLR PHANTOM POWER LAVALIER LAPEL MICROPHONE | eBay
Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Trustee

+1 on the Rode mikes; also look at: Audio Technica and Tram,
and there is a small manufacturer that has gotten good reviews here: Oscar SoundTech . Countryman makes well-reviewed mikes although I am not sure if they have xlr models.

Tram lavalier
audio technica lavalier
http://www.oscarsoundtech.com/

Of these, I can vouch for the Tram TR50, excellent quality.
I am sure you can source any of these in the UK.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, the OST mics can be purchased with a permanent hard wired XLR Phantom pwr. module, or a Phantom pwr. adapter with a TA-3/4/5, locking 1/8", Lemo, ect. allowing one to use the same mic from your wireless in a hardwired config.
AFAIK, OST does not offer a battery pwr. module at this time.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM   #7
DVCreators.Net

Which camera will you be plugging into?
For instance, you may want to look at it as an entire "sound package" instead of just blowing the whole budget on the lav only.
Most pros will have a field mixer. The field mixer does a few things, it not only supplies phantom power to condenser mics, it gives you the ability to see and adjust levels without bumping the camera, it gives you the ability to bring up the levels without much hiss, and if the mixer has limiters, it gives you protection in case things get loud.

Under $100:
If you just want a cheap lav, I might suggest getting the MXL FR-355K dual lav kit. For under $100 - you get two lavs - one cardioid and one omni. Yes, they'll sound a bit flat and dry and these are not super high quality, but they get the job done on a budget. I just put up a sound sample with the Tascam DR-40 on Vimeo.

Under $250:
Mid range, go for the Audio Technica AT899, Countryman EMW or RODE lav as others have suggested. The RODE micons are nice to have if you ever plan on going wireless, it makes it easy to unscrew the XLR connector and switch.

Over $300:
Countyman B6, Sennheiser MKE-2

Over $400:
At the top end there is the new Sennheiser MKE-1, the Sanken COS11-D and DPA 4000 series.

You might want to also take a look a Dan's article, "Audio In Close Up - Which Lavalier Should I Use?"

A Comparison of Sixteen Popular Wired Lavalier Microphones Audio In Close Up - Which Lavalier Should I Use?"
Old October 5th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Where is that sound sample Guy?

Thanks,
GLB
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #9
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lee View Post
Where is that sound sample Guy?

Thanks,
GLB
Hi Gary,

The Marshall FR-355K Dual Lavalier Mirophone Kit - DVeStore MXL-355 lav kit contains two lavs for a street price of $90 = that's $45 per XLR lav! One is the FR-350 Omni and the other is the FR-351 Cardioid.
At 04:25 you can hear the sample of the cardioid. Remember, this is recorded into a $199 recorder - into a "good" camera, it might actually sound better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUVJutxxC4c

After having tested higher quality lavs like the RODE, Countryman, Sanken, and Sennheiser, I found the MXL to be a rather flat and dry mic with a lot of self noise. Although it's certainly acceptable for most applications. It's specs show a Frequency Response: 40-15000Hz with a Signal To Noise Ratio: 72dB
MXL FR-355K Lavalier Microphone Kit
http://www.mxlmics.com/manuals/field...KManualWeb.pdf

If you would like to hear some good samples of a few of mentioned lavalier mics, our fellow dvinfo.net member Chad Johnson has done a great job recording them:

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio