Looking for a shotgun mic shortie for a Sony PMW500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 7th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Trustee

Looking for a shotgun mic shortie for a Sony PMW500

I've lost my old Rode NTG-1 at a shoot much to my annoyance and now it's the search to replace this.
There seems to be a lot on the market to choose from and yes I have gone through many post here looking.

I thought that getting a NTG-2 would be the logical step but this is about 50mm to long and looks like it will hangs over the lens at full wide with a dead cat on this.

Are there any great shortie mics that you ENG guys are using?

Cheers

Last edited by Simon Denny; October 7th, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Looking for a shotgun mic shortie for a Sony PMW500

Well that sucks, did some clown run off with it? Are you sure it's not in the car or back at the gig somewhere?

Will insurance cover it?

To check whether an NTG-2 will overhang the front of your cam, measure out a rod of some sort and try it.

Cheers.
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #3
Trustee

I use one of these on my panasonic P2 cameras, forget the description as its badly translated, these are panasonic and sony mono shotgun mic's as used on your type of camera as stock mics: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

As you can see they have sold lots of them and they are OK as general purpose camera mics, I normally offer $75 for them and use a cut down rode W/S 6 with it.

Not the best test for a mic but here are some football crowd effects recorded on one of them last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66oTdtBrAxE

If not check out my other preference for short shotguns the audio technica AT875r its far better than the rode and nice and short with a great sound for the money.

Last edited by Gary Nattrass; October 8th, 2011 at 03:44 AM.
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks guys,
This was a rush pack up to catch a plane and the first time in years I left something behind, ah well.

Thanks Allan and Gary. I have checked out that EBay site and those look ok for a cheapie.

Cheers
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #5
Major Player

For a quality short gun the new Sennheiser MKH 8060 is the one to look at. Same polar-pattern as the 416 it is physically much shorter - the interference tube is the same length, it's just the body they have shortened.

For a small an inexpensive on-camera mic., my first choice would be the Ambient TinyMike I think.
Old October 10th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #6
Trustee

I decided to go with the AT875 Short Condenser Shotgun Microphone through B&H. I've been a Rode user for years and love their products and liked the sound out of the NTG-1 but thought I would try something new for a while.

Cheers
Old October 10th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #7
Trustee

Good choice Simon, I have five of them and use them all the time but off camera as they give a nice focussed sound, they are compact but well made and I like the pressure gradient design.

I have a couple of test clips from a drama I shot if you want to hear one of them on location these are recorded flat straight into the camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH8mVouKkhg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbvCcjrAueI

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio