worth adapting Sony ECM-66B/44B for vows, or... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 25th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: worth adapting Sony ECM-66B/44B for vows, or...

Greg, does your dr-03 function properly with sd cards over 2gb? Does it properly display time/space remaining?
Thanks
Anthony Milic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Trustee

Re: worth adapting Sony ECM-66B/44B for vows, or...

Anthony,

I don't know why you asked the question, but here's some info that might help you.

To tell the truth, I've always used it with 2GB cards because I'm just capturing short clips. So I have just inserted an 8GB card, and initialized the card per the DR-03 menu. Here's what I find.

If I go into the Setup menu, then System, then Information, then Card, it shows the card size as 7.3G. That's because of the discrepancy concerning the definition of "GB." Card manufacturers use "GB" to mean 10^9 Bytes. But devices (like the DR-03) use "GB" to mean 2^30 Bytes, or 1024 x 1024 x 1024 Bytes. OK, so 7.3 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 ~ 7.84 x 10^9 Bytes, fairly close to "8 GB" card size. I think we're OK so far. (This issue occurs on other computers, recorders, USB drive, etc... it's not specific to the DR-03.)

But where you might initially think there's a problem is when you check the "remaining time" part of the main display. For example, if I set recording mode to PCM/44/16/stereo, it shows remaining time as 3:22:47, which corresponds to a file size of roughly 2GB. Obviously that's a lot less than 8GB.

The answer is found on p.54 of the manual. It clearly states "the maximum recording file size is 2 GB." (This corresponds to the maximum file size with the FAT32 file system. So apparently the DR-03 uses FAT32 to store files on the SDHC card.)

After checking the above info, I recorded a roughly one hour file (PCM/44/16/stereo), ended that recording, and then checked the display again. Again, it shows remaining time as 3:22:47, which corresponds to a file size of roughly 2GB. So it's showing the available time for the next recording you make, and not the total recording time available on the card.

If I then navigate back to through the menu to Card Info, it now says "Remaining size" as 6.7G, which shows that I've used roughly 0.6GB for roughly an hour of recording... that's correct.

If the above info doesn't clear things up, please explain why you asked the question in the first place, and perhaps I can clarify things further.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio