H4N Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

H4N Help

Hello,

Newbie with my h4n.

I plan on using it as b-roll and some primary audio for an indie musical i am doing, especially when i remote areas in the field.

I need to figure the zoom out for a shoot out in the desert where i am singing and playing a celeste/glockespiel, and was hoping to record with onboard mics in stereo, but i am concerned with the celeste overtaking the vocals in the stereo mix. it's only for the first verse of the tune.
given that -- i was thinking of buying some sennheiser lavs to go with my Senn ME66, and was hoping there was a way to record me-66 and lav into h4n and STILL have the onboard mics show up on a different channel so i would get a good range of tracks and then use pluralize to sync up to my Sony FS100 and 5D in post?

should i get the update for the zoom h4n?

any ideas? i have been having trouble even knowing how to set up the levels on my h4n for general recording. headed to india soon for a shoot as well, and want to know the best general settings of onboard mic use in stereo, as well as best way to record talking head documentary audio with a lav and boom -- should i boom into camera/fs100 and then do lav through fs100, or do all through camera or fs100 and use zoom h4n for b-roll audio with a second lav or mic?

sorry for any confusion -- i'm an audiophile and trying to figure it all out to get optimum sound. i also got a windscreen for the desert in case it's windy, but primarily need help with the desert/celeste shoot, as i want to record the celeste and vocals at once/simultaneously, but was hoping to HIDE the zoom from the shot, which i could do with the lav and boom perhaps, but not really with the onboard mics/zoom h4n as it might be in the shot. plus, i'm concerned the celeste will override the vocals -- it doesn't need to sound perfect but lo-fi charming ;)

thanks so much!
jc
Justin Connor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio