Surround Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Surround Question

Hi,

I have a sound question, if you want to give the viewer(the listener) the impression that a sound happens behind them, behind the camera, but I would add this sound later in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.

What should I do to give them the impression that something behind them makes a sound, like something breaking, making the characters in the movie turn their head.

But I would add the sound to the movie later, so its not actually recorded on spot.

My English ain't superb so if my sentence construction lacks, I'm sorry for that.

and Kind Regards,

Daniël
Daniel Clays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 05:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm sorry but it's hard to know just what you're asking.

Are you asking how to create a 5.1 surround sound mix instead of a stereo mix when using Premiere Pro?

Are you asking how to put a sound on the rear channels after setting up a surround sound mix when using Premiere Pro?

Are you asking what kind of sound effect to use or where to obtain it?
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 05:56 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

He wants to know, how to put an effect or sound in the rear channels using premiere pro. I can't help, as I haven't moved up to pro yet.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 07:24 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for replying,

and yeah thats what I mean.
Daniel Clays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Major Player

One way (and there are certainly several possibilities) would be to set up the microphone (stereo) or microphones you normally use in the spacing you normally use and then put an additional pair behind where the camera would be or, if the main microphone is on the camera, set up the camera as you normally would with an additional pair of microphones behind it. Set up the main mic gains as you normally would and the ones in the rear to give about the same level as the front ones when the sound source is in the center of the arrangement. Now start recording the 4 channels (or 2 stereo pairs). It would be preferrable to record all 4 channels with sample sync (i.e. use a 4 channel sound card) so that phase relationships are preserved between the 4 channels resulting in a sharper image but you can probably get by recording the front on the camera and the rear on a separate recorder. Since you cited breaking something as an example of the sound you are interested in it should be fairly easy to line the two recordings up in the NLE.

Make the sound you want to use (e.g. break a glass) at several locations behind the camera i.e. at various distances and angles from the mic array centre line. Now import the 4 sound files into your NLE into 4 new tracks, line them up (with the video and with each other if necessary) and mix the newly recorded front left and right with the main front left and right and the newly recorded rear with the respectively paired surround tracks (if you don't have any at this point, create them). By experimenting with the levels and the various "takes" you should be able to position the sound to your pleasing. It goes without saying that you need audio hardware capable of producing surround sound so that you can listen as you tweak to be sure you have the effect you want.

I'm suggesting the 4 channel approach because a sound behind the camera but close to it would be picked up by the front mics as well as the rear and the front mic signals are necessary for placing the "image" properly. If the sound is way behind the camera and/or if the front channels are very loud at the time of the sound then you can probably do without the front channels and only record 2 (rear) new ones.

Some sound software, such as Digital Performer, make this job a little easier by creating "surround bundles" (like stereo pairs) with controls which enable you to pan a sound around in 2D space etc.

Obviously you must have a 5.1 or similar encoder in order to be able to do anything with this mix (other than listen to it on your editing system).
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio