How to test XLR cables and adapters? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 9th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: How to test XLR cables and adapters?

I strongly suspect that the design did NOT originate with either Ebtech or with Behringer.
They are both just ordering custom paint on a generic Chinese OEM gadget.

No, I don't think the Ebtech is worth the extra $$.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #17
Trustee

My only complaint with the Behringer that I have is the tone generator "sounds" awful. It works, but in the event I actually need to record tone or use tone extensively in a large setup, I'll drag along an old Shure portable mixer that I keep for no other reason than to generate nice, clean 1k tone at either Mic or Line level output.

If the Ebtech has a better tone generator, that would be nice and probably worth the extra money. I've never tried the Ebtech tester although I have several of their other products that are great.

I've also never tried a 2nd Behringer unit, it could just be the one I have, but the tone generator is not as important as the electronically latching cable fault detection for finding intermittent problems...
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #18
Trustee

I agree the tone is horrible and very square wave but that can be a huge bonus on outside broadcasts as they always know that it is me on the end of the that horrible buzz, the 400hz is just as bad but so is my Q-box. ;0)
Old January 10th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #19
Inner Circle

72-8785 - TENMA - CABLE TESTER, AV, UNIVERSAL | CPC
This product is available in numerous 'brands' - these types of products are very rarely made by the name on the box, it's not cost effective, they are just OEM products and the brands can be well known or simply made up. There is a rather nice version of this one with the capability to test cat5 cables too, which is even nicer. For the price, the notion of testing with a meter becomes a bit futile and time wasting.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio