Convert from TA4F to TA5F Mini XLR? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 18th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Convert from TA4F to TA5F Mini XLR?

I have an Audio Technica U100 system (consisting of an ATW-R100 Receiver and an ATW-T101 Transmitter) with a Shure WL93 Microphone utilizing a TA5F (5-pin) connector.

I've reached a point in my business where I need to get another wireless lav set, and I'd like to get an identical system to avoid having vastly different sounding mics in post. However, the Shure Mic that I have seems to only be available with a TA4F (4-pin) connector. So, here's my question:

If I purchase a TA5F connector, and get really friendly with my soldering iron, how do I convert from one to the other? I haven't been able to find any tutorials or even pin diagrams.

I'd love to hear a solution here. I've weighed my options and determined that I'm not going to buy into a newer, flashier system. I have no idea how I ended up with a Shure mic with a connector they don't offer, but there you have it. Please help, and thanks in advance!
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Convert from TA4F to TA5F Mini XLR?

Here is a link that might help with pin connections....
Wireless Transmitter Wiring - Countryman Associates, Inc.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey, now that's helpful. Thanks!
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I had a similar question I wanted to connect a standard mic to my Audio Technica wireless lav body pack transmitter.

Need TA5F -> XLR

I saw this on B&H I assume even though it says Letrosonics it would still work with Audio Technica?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/288057-REG/Remote_Audio_CALECXL3_5M_XLR_F_to_TA5_F_18.html
Btw, my wireless kit came with a transmitter designed to plug into base of mic but it has never worked properly, I'm not keen on putting much money repairing an old wireless system.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

As I recall, the AT U100 used the same wiring scheme as the Lectro 185/87 and 195 transmitters, at least for bias powered mics.
See page 5 of the manual:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/re...u100ser_om.pdf

PS-- As I further recall, many of the U100 systems were in the (now illegal) 700MHz frequency block. But I don't think the FCC is gonna come looking for you unless you show up with it at a major broadcast event.
Attached Thumbnails
Convert from TA4F to TA5F Mini XLR?-at101-xmitter.png  
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, it worked. In case anyone else needs to attempt what I've done, here's the formula for putting a 5-pin TA5F connector onto a Shure WL93 in a manner that will be compatible with an Audio Technica T101 transmitter from a U100 system:

Pin 5: Open
Pin 4: Ground/Shield (short to pin 1)
Pin 3: Red
Pin 2: Black
Pin 1: Ground/Shield (short to pin 4)

This coincides perfectly with the condenser mic info. listed on the link above from Rick. Just thought I'd report back and say it worked. Thanks everyone!
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Update:
After working flawlessly once, I haven't been able to get any sound out of the mic ever again. I even cut the wires fresh and re-soldered the whole thing. No dice. The transmitter is definitely not the problem. It works fine with my other, identical mic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio